NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I was working with an excel spreadsheet and i did the latest

Customer Question

I was working with an excel spreadsheet and i did the latest update to Excel 2016 for MAC. all of a sudden I am getting #NAME? errors.
the file works fine on a PC but when I open on MAC i am getting an _XLFN added in front of my IF statement
=_xlfn.IFS(U78="Monday",1,U78="Tuesday",1,U78="Wednesday",1,U78="Thursday",1,U78="Friday",1,U78="Saturday",0.5,U78="Sunday",0.5)
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 5 months ago.

The #NAME? error means that you have cells that refer to functions that are undefined. They are evidently in the extensions that you may have installed on Windows but are not in the version you installed on Mac. Please click on the cells individually to see if you can determine precisely which formulas are causing the problem. The _XLFN demonstrates that the Mac recognized an extension in a Windows version that it knew how to deal with; it did NOT know how to deal with at least some of the others.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
here is the issue..... i opened on my laptop, also MAC. same formula appear but does not return #name?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
as soon as I turn autocalculation on it happens
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
anyway... how do I fix
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you any reason why that formula shouldnt work minus the _xlfn

Yes, IFS is a new function that only works with Excel 2016. I would imagine that an older version that may have automatically downloaded an upgrade plugin from somewhere might have to prefix the functions because they live in some external DLL. With the prefix specified, the function evaluation engine would know to look for the code in the appropriate OLE object rather than in the native function namespace.