NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

Sure. I am trying to recover an older version of a document

Customer Question

Sure. I am trying to recover an older version of a document that somehow got saved over in word (mac)
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: macbook pro 2015. El Capitan?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Within last couple of weeks, yhes
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I have to pay for this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

If the document "somehow got saved over" and you have not been tracking revisions, you are, unfortunately, out of luck. You may wish to use a much older operating system, like VAX/VMS, that automatically saves however many previous versions of any file regardless of file type. You are always asked to confirm when you attempt to overwrite something. The computer cannot protect you against your own mistakes if you do not exercise due care. Sorry.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was not asked to confirm. It happened automatically. There's no way to recover older versions? Or find older documents if not saved over purposefully?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Laith Ayoub replied 1 month ago.

What version of word are you using.

Go to word -- About word -- the version will be listed.