Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

The problem in word 2010, system 7. While the file was open,

Customer Question

The problem in word 2010, system 7.
While the file was open, I came back to the page and discovered that all the lines of text were squished to the left side of the line.
If I highlighted the line and hit center text-align, the text went back to normal, but if I chose left text-align, the text squished up again.
I happened to have a paragraph on that page, and all the text was squished into one line on the left side. Again I could copy the squished part and get a line retrieved from the mess. I repeated the process on each new line and was able to retrieve one line at a time.
Any attempt to get the text back to normal has failed. Each time I choose left text-align for the paragraph, the entire paragraph re-squishes into the left side of one line.
I have been a word user for decades and have never seen this problem.
I have a copy of the one-page document that this error is in.
Where can I send it to get a fix?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there Stephen and welcome

Can you please attach the word file to this question and I can then check it and see what the issue is.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
File is attached
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, looks to be your copy of word that has the issue as the file is working fine for me when left text-aligning

What I want you to do is a reset of Word, to do this, go to this link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822005

Click on Download and download and run the file.

Complete the process and when you have, restart and tell me please if you still have the issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The problem seems to have been some problem with my PC. I am running pcmatic and fixed the problem and it has been fine for 2 weeks. It took about a week to fix. I have used word on other files and have not had the same problem.
I do not have the time or expertise to do the long list of stuff in your solution, which now seems unnecessary.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, but you only needed to run a file, which you did in a roundabout way (the program you had installed would have ran the file for you).

Though my instructions where no more complex then installing pcmatic or running any file on your computer.