NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

I am writing an Access database to help with chemical work.

Customer Question

I am writing an Access database to help with chemical work. Now that I have it going I would like to automate it more. Currently I enter a part number on a form and by pushing a button on the form I perform two append queries to bring in data from a different database and then open a form where I can edit or add to it. The form I'm using has a field for the part number and multiple tabs with subform information. It also has a list box to scroll through information for other part numbers. I would like the openform command to automatically scroll to the proper part number (I can do this with a where clause in the openform command) but then still be able to scroll to other part numbers (this doesn't seem to work). Is there a way to do this. I can send the database or screen shots to make it clearer. Note that I've learned Access and vba on my own and my knowledge level has a lot of gaps.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Please send your database to me. I will look into it and get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, here's an explanation and I'll attach the database separately. I don't believe you need the linked database. You can see the behavior by clicking item 1 in the right hand side of the main menu (Get a Product and Ingredients...) and using 47753-A. Note that it will go through two append queries (easy to comment out if a problem) and then open "Tabbed Multipurpose form for classification" It is at the right part number (42753-A) but the list box does not work. If you click on Browse Products it will close this and open "Tabbed Multipurpose form" where the list box works but the focus on opening is incorrect.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am having trouble sending the database. Please look at it on Google Drive and replace the suffix with accdb.Link is email if problems is***@******.***
Regards, Dennis

Here, I can see the once we click on open form it shows us details only when we click on browse products button. Do you want selected value to be automatically searched.I found both tabed multipurpose form and tabed multipurpose form for classification is working the same way for all the id's I tried? Do you see the issue for any specific ID (47753-A) or is it generic.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand what you are saying but will have to get back to you tonight. I believe the issue is generic. I am not near the computer with this database during the day.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am looking at my database now and see what you mean. The behavior of the form is not because the two forms are different but because of the docmd used to open the form. I will try to illustrate what I mean later this evening. Thank you for your consideration.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have put a new version of the database on Google Drive with changes. 1. I now realize that the two forms I mentioned are the same and that they behaved differently due to the way they were opened. The database no longer uses "Tabbed Multipurpose form for classification" but uses "Tabbed Multipurpose form"; 2. "Tabbed Multipurpose form" now has List20 visible and Formula List_PNum hidden so that it works correctly when opened from Browse Products on the Main Menu or closed/reopened from Browse Products button on the Product Number form. What I can't get it to do is have List20 invisible and Formula List_PNum visible when opened from the ChemScribe button on Product Number form. When opened from "Product Number form" it uses a where clause and the net result is that List20 is not functional. This was my issue in the first place. I tried to do this with the Visible property but probably didn't put it in the right place. do not worry about payment of the $18 for this as we will end up in a good place though perhaps not how initially envisioned.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the Google Drive link

Thanks , I will look into it .

I understood your questions's some part but could not get clear picture of it. Can we do screen sharing and go thorugh this. If possible I will try to fix it during our screen sharing itself.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bhavik, I am busy away from my computer today but will be available tomorrow (Friday). I do not want to spend $30 on a screen share but will be happy to discuss it with you or do a TeamViewer. My cell is(###) ###-####