NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.

Had a problem resolved by your computer tech Viet 5 days ago

Customer Question

Hi there, had a problem resolved by your computer tech Viet 5 days ago which has partly recurred. Problem related to me installing EMET 5.5, which prevented me using any of the Office 365 apps or Adobe Reader DC. I'd already uninstalled EMET 5.5, but apparently it's a gift that keeps on giving!
The solution was to edit the registry, create .bk version of all the app .exe files and thus enable the registry key to rebuild at next launch.
However, all the Office 365 apps are again affected the same way (generating "Attempt to access invalid address" at every attempt to launch). The Adober Reader DC app is not affected.
While I now know how to fix the Office 365 apps I'd prefer if someone more expert than I could do it. More importantly, can we see if a permanent solution to this issue exists? Perhaps reinstall Office 365. Or is there maybe a "repair" option with 365?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Brandon Smith replied 2 months ago.

yes there is a repair option for office 365.

1. Click on the start menu, typically found at the bottom left of the computer screen.
  2. Select Computer.
  3. Click on the "Uninstall or change a program" selection. This should be located near the top of the window between system properties and map network drive.
  4. find microsoft office 365 in the list that populates, and left click once so select.
  5. at the top you should have two options uninstall and change.
  6. select change.
  7. Select repair from the list and click continue.
  8. let this finish. and it will compare what is on your computer to the install and fix any changes.

Keep in mind that this is a repair on the entire office suite and it can take a good amount of time to complete.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot and let you know. Cheers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Interesting. The Quick Repair option failed much as I expected it to do, so I went to Online Repair. It did a full download and reinstall, said all fixed. Tested, not fixed. FYI, I'm not a total dill when it comes to regedit, but I had a bad experience once & am a little gunshy: rather someone else remoted in etc.

I look forward to assisting you this should be a pretty easy fix. please let me know when you are available and I will do my best to assist you :) the link above is a link to a remote session that i have started. please feel free to use the link to connect to the session. :)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi again, as I'm in Sydney, Australia I can't usually get to the machine in the local hours midnight-6am, so I have to wait until I get home from work today to respond. That will be in the region of 6.30-7pm Sydney time, so I'll have a shot then. Cheers
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, as I've very recently paid JustAnswer AUD amounts of $12.47, $48, $5 and $14 (total A$79.47), I can't afford to pay another $55 for remote assistance. We'll just have to talk it through. Cheers.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Although, to be frank, given that the first remote session did not actually permanently fix the issue, I might have hoped JustAnswer would waive another remote access fee.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Brandon, you online?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey, I'm not quite sure why there's such a problem making contact in my time frame. Worked fine the first time. Anyway, I'm here for another couple of hours, text me if you can on +61 425 382 386 and I'll come to the computer. Cheers.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, anyone home?