Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I'm trying to create a dependent drop down list. The first

Customer Question

I'm trying to create a dependent drop down list. The first named list works fine. When I enter the formula =INDIRECT(cell letter number), it doesn't work for all cells. Please help! The first support specialist I was working with didn't respond.
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The first drop down list is in column H (category (and has the list from column Y as a drop down). I'm trying to make column I the conditional drop down list. For example, if I choose "Complaint" in column H I only want to see the complaint options under column Z, same for policy_violation etc. and I need the formula to continue all the way down the column so that when anyone goes in and selects their choice in H, the correct corresponding list in I will appear.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It seems to me that the other Expert (Jess, I think) has gone offline, or is perhaps busy examining the file you posted.

If he doesn't respond after a while, say 20 minues, that might be cause for concern.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had accepted my request to connect and then went offline
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I asked if I should do something, but he hasn't responded either way

What sort of connecting offer was made, that you presumably accepted?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The secure connection from my device offered below
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is my first time using this site

I'm sorry - I don't think I can help with this case.

If Expert Jess agreed to that Secure Remote Assistance, then he's preparing a session (I hope) and is about to post the details (and a link, to start the session) to you, in the other question/case.

I see that Expert Jess M has not yet responded to you, and it has been 30 minutes since you accepted the Secure Remote Assistance offer.

I have to Opt Out, since I cannot help you and I don't have any means of knowing what Jess M. is busy with. I part on the note that, perhaps, you should contact

***@******.***

with any questions you may have about the process, or about Jess M., etc. Thank you for using the JustAnswer.com site.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 4 months ago.

i have done dependent drop down lists many times, The only way to do it reliably is with a macro.

I could create such a macro, if the original expert did not respond, then you should request a credit for that question so they can apply that to your account.

If you would like to work with me. There is an additional charge to create a macro.

Let me know what your intentions are.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's fine about the additional charge. How much is it? The original guy Jess has not responded back since 7:47pm. Please help!

is this something you would need tonite?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tomorrow morning would be fine. I need it for a meeting at 10AM. I had it working using the data validation -> =INDIRECT(cell), but then something happened not sure what I did and I can't get it to work. So if you have a more reliable way of doing it, I'm happy to pay for it. How much would it be? Could you have it done by 10am tomorrow?

i think I understand what you want to do, what time zone are you in? And what version of excel do you use?

Also you need to understand that you will have to populate the rest of the values in column Y so that there are more than 1 matches displayed from column Z when you select something from column Y

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm EST. I have Excel 2007. Do you mean I need to enter data into cells Y7:Y27? I don't have any other categories to enter. thanks for your prompt replies, by the way!

well, i mean you have a whole bunch of data in Z but just blanks in Y with nothing associated, so how would you be able to populate the list with the appropriate values from column Z

inother words if you select complaint in column H, column Y will only be populated with PM Primary Reason: Motivational, because that is the only value that matches.

Am I missing something? Is there only ever going to be a single value that matches.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I don't think I'm explaining it well. Is it possible to use the remote assistance?

yes, but I will charge a lot because its late, i would include the macro in that charge if you need it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is the charge?

just sent it

this includes macro creation and remote support

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If we do it tomorrow would it be less?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can see if I can push my meeting back

sure, i would knock $50 off.

but it would have to be in the afternoon.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If you can do it for $99 we have a deal. I'm paying out of my own pocket (I can't expense this).
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My manager said we can have our meeting at 1pm so I have time
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just started the job, so I really want to get this right. If you can't do $99 I understand.

I will do $99, but can't do remote for that price.

Can you explain better.

because the way I understand it

you have 5 values in your dropdown list in H. which come from Y.

you have 1 value for column Z that matches the value in column Y and you want that value to be put in column I.

is this correct?

if you want to get back to me in the morning that is fine, I can only be on now for about another 10 mins or so

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In Column H/ Category, I have 5 options. What I'd like to do, is once an item is selected from the list in H, you can move over to I/ Sub_Category and will see the corresponding choices. For example, if I choose Complaint in H, I want to see only the options with Complaint in front of them and be able to select one of those. Does that make sense?

yes, however to make this work,

you will need to pouplate the categories in the rest of column Y as well

you can use each category more than once in column Y

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh, OK great. I will try that. Thank you!

ok,then I will send you a new price

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, great thanks

once you accept it I will get started.

Will try to get to you by 11AM, so you can have some time to test it out first.

ok, im going to sleep, you have to accept the offer before they will let me work on it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure why, but the site is not accepting my payment. I need to call customer service.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I was the one working with you in your question, but unfortunately, the question was closed. I was about to post my answer with the download link but I can't since the chat/question was closed. Here is our question link:

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/805be9163fe34febbda60bb99b5d59f8

Anyhow, I manage to fix the problem with your Excel file.

You can download the fixed file here:

http://filesxpress.com/download-6264d8e221994bb35d055563378163b1

If the fix that I did was not the one you desired, please continue with PC Guy, with his expertise on macro and VBA programming, he can really solve however complex your requirements are.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Jess