Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

I am using windows on a mac ~ I accidentally typed over a

Customer Question

I am using windows on a mac ~ I accidentally typed over a document and saved the new document ~ how do I revert to the old document (I have now saved the new document under a new name...
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Desktop OS X Yosemite
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: ummmmm I tried to go into "file" and see if I could recover an old version ~ I tried to find a place where I could revert...??
JA: The Microsoft Office expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no, thank you!!!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Do you know what version of Office / Word you are using? Such as 2008, 2011, or 2016?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Microsoft Word for Mac 2011
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Thank you.

Lets check to see if two things were set. First, open word.

Then click word at the top left, then preferences, then save.. is the autosave and autorecovery functions checked?

if so then on the word > preferences > file locations page, does it show a specific location set for the autosave/autorecovery folder location?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
auto save was clicked
does not show a location for autosave ~ it's not an option
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

You checked the word > preferences, > file locations

And didnt see a folder path for autorecovery or auto save?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
correct, I can "modify"
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
oops ~ I don't know what I did, but now I see it AutoRecover Files
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ok, so n ow you see the old document inside your auto recover files?

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

If you get the old document to open.. Make sure you immediately save it with a different name.

Once you close it, its lost!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know better...just in a hurry ~ lot of good that did!I see it, and clicked on the folder ~ it won't let me click on the file
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Ive sent an offer for remote support, if you would like me to connect and help you recover this file directly on screen, click and accept the offer.

Otherwise, we can try to continue via written support.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks ~ it's not that big a document ... I can retype it for less than $20 :-]]
Thank you for your help!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
written script is ok if you don't mind
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Understood!

lets try this.

inside word, Choose File→Open from the menu bar.

Then, navigate to the autorecovery folder..

Then, choose the autorecovery file that matches your old file name, then click open.

Results?

if that file was your new file and not the old version.. Then go to the same autorecovery location in your finder.. And then open time machine and see if you have an older version of that autorecovery file in time machine.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where do I find the time machine...??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was the old and new
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

What do you mean it was the old and new?

If you found the old version, did you click file, save as and give it a new name?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
oops ~ I meant the old name had the new document
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

In that case.. Open your finder.

Then pull up the autorecovery folder location on screen..

Then, open your finder again, an d now type in time machine. Open time machine and it should show the time machine window.. if you hit the up arrow, it will go back in time.. Try to go back to the day you saved over it or the day before..

As long as time machine was on and running, you can restore the file this way.

if not, then next time you save over a file immediately go to the auto recovery location and make copies of everything you see. You have to be fast because, if you have word open and its set to autosave every 10 minutes. Then you only have ten minutes of word being open before it will over write the last autorecovery file ( erasing the old version of the document )

Also, if you didnt have time machine turned on, I st rongly suggest getting a cheap external drive and then turning on time machine and having it backup to the external drive. Time machine is an exceptional feature because it can save versions of your files and all data on your mac every hour, or every several hours, or every day ( or every week or month, etc )

That way, you can always go back to a previous version of a file, document, etc. heres an example of a cheap external drive

http://amzn.to/2afOmNV

Hopefully though, you already had time machine turned on.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Dustin ~ I didn't have time machine on...
I appreciate your assistance...Thanks!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Please ignore the previous message about remote support if you received it, that went to the wrong box.

if anything else comes up that you need help with, let me know.

Dustin S