Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

My computer was hacked and it froze everything. The letter

Customer Question

My computer was hacked and it froze everything. The letter said it was a Microsoft office Problem to please call right now(###) ###-####which I did because I trusted Microsoft office. They got control of my computer I told them I would not give my credit card number over the phone for more than $500.00. I asked them to release my computer, they told me they would. I lost the original page but now have a frozen computer that says: The computer is configured to require a password ***** order to start up. Please enter the startup password ***** I have tried all my passwords. Can you help if I give you all the manufacture numbers on the back? I have already lost $3,000.00, I use this computer for work. All technicians told me to recycle the computer that they would get information off the computer. PLEASE HELP. Thank you
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

My first concern, is helping you contact your bank or credit card and disputing those charges, from the beginning this was a scam email and the bank should definitely take your side. Have you called your bank yet to dispute the charges? And also, you may want to consider having them issue a new card, with different numbers. Since that scam company has your credit card or bank card number you dont want them being able to charge you going down the road.

Im sorry to hear they got you for 3000.00$, but thankfully things like this are common enough that your bank should side with you. But you need to immediately dispute the charges and tell them you were victim to a a Microsoft support cold call scam.

Now, as far as the computer itself. I may be able to help you fix it. Lets start simple.

Whats the name brand and model of the computer?

And what version of windows is it running, windows xp, vista, windows 7, windows 8 or windows 10 ?

Dustin S