Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

Im having an issue with data connection between two

Customer Question

HI,
Im having an issue with data connection between two workbooks. Workbook A is emailed to me ( i believe its encrypted) which I download to my PC as it is. I create a data connection to workbook A from workbook B. The problem is this: the only was this works is if after downloading workbook A I open it, click the save button and then close it. If I dont do this i get an error in workbook B when refreshing the connection stating the file is in a unrecognized format. I dont want to open and save WB A every time I receive a new version because the downloading of the attachment is automated and I would like to keep the entire process automated. How can I retrieve the data from WB A without saving it?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Here is the question. The person that is sending you workbook A.. What version of excel are they using to create workbook A?

2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is a xlsx file, I am not sure what version of excel.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

If you dont want to have to resave and convert.. We need to know what version of Excel the other party is using.

Then, we either need to have them upgrade to your version, or you u pgrade or downgrade to their version. ( if you want everything to be automated )

And its not just the year that matters ( of excel ) If were also crossing from MAC Excel to Windows Excel that can and will cause issues like this.

I can help you achieve an automated workflow, but the questions and scenarios above I mentioned need to be addressed.

Can you find out what version of excel the other party is using?

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will find out what version it is. I wont be able to have them change them change the file type because these are reports auto generated from reporting software.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Understood. To make the system automated, you and I may have to upgrade or downgrade your version of excel to match.

Thats the only way for excel to get around the need to convert. ( When you check, please also find out whether its a mac or pc version of excel as thats a critical piece of info as well )

Even once we have parity between your version and theirs. We may still need to do this

In Excel go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View, and then uncheck Enabled Protected View for files originating from the Internet.

In fact, this could fix the issue right now, if you happen to be running the same versions of excel already!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had already tried the settings in trust center that did not work. I will wait till I hear back about the version. I thought that may have been the problem in the past so I upgraded from excel 2007 to 2016 still did not work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Question, did you completely disable protected view for excel, not just the single document? If so, Once you find out whether its Mac Excel 2008, 2011, 2016 or PC Excel 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, let me know!

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

..