The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

In excel, can i get functionality similar to WEEKNUM if

Customer Question

in excel, can i get functionality similar to WEEKNUM if there is no serial number for the date?I have dates in this format 1/1/2016 and when I use the WEEKNUM function I get an output that is 1/1/1900, i assume because of the format of the date?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 9 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

When using the WEEKNUM function for the date 1/1/2016, the result should be: 1. What is your result?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 9 months ago.

you are getting the output of 1/1/1900 becuse your result cell is in date format, change the format in the result cell to general, and you will get a number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.

- Right click the date value, choose Format, in the window that comes up, choose to format the value as a "Date". Click the Ok button. That will solve the problem.

I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.

I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.

I will be standing by,
Jason

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page. To keep them handy, you may wish to bookmark or favorite one of the pages that are listed below. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!".

Profile page:

http://JasonFixedit.com

and ask a question right in my box,

you need to change the format of your result cell only to "general" while leaving the date cell as it is.

the easiest way to do this is to goto the home tab, and on the toolbar(ribbon) you will see number formatting options, one of those options is a drop down to change to general