Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

I have accidentally archived much of my inbox. I know how to

Customer Question

I have accidentally archived much of my inbox. I know how to import a .pst file and have done it successfully many times. But this time, when I go through the import process, I get the message "Could not complete the operation because the service provider does not support it." Any ideas?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I'm using Outlook 2013
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Only something I found typing CMD and then using a command that was not recognized (netsh...)
JA: The Microsoft Office expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: How much does it cost,
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Who are you folks
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Also, would you like me to connect to your computer from here and work on the issue directly on screen? If so we can set this up via a secure remote assistance session. That session is guaranteed meaning if I cant help you then you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

Otherwise, I can try and assist you via written support alone. Let me know how you'd like to begin.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Agree to give access. Can you call at(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you give me an idea of when you might call? I'll go get a snack if it's more than a few minutes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dustin -- I need to schedule when you will be able to consult with me so I can do other work in the mean time. Can you please give me an approx time?
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Ive just had a chance to check your replies on site.

Ive also sent the offer for remote support. Once you have accepted that offer, if you send a reply mentioning what time zone you are in, and what time you would like me to connect. We can make that happen.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not paying extra for anything. Do you have a solution for me or not?
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Lets discuss the issue further.

The PST file you are trying to import.. Is it just contacts? Is it a full mail file? How did you create the PST file originally, and what did you export within that PST file?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can see the archived emails when I "open" the archive. It is nearly my whole inbox, with all of the subfolders. I can close the archive and then my .pst file icon has the green check-mark that my other archives have. I have successfully restored other archives before of a single subfolder. I do this via File / Import-Export/ and then I go through the wizard to browse and select the .pst file, and to restore it to my inbox with the subfolders box checked. I've tried all iterations of trying to restore one of the subfolders and also trying to restore the entire inbox. I always get the error message that I quoted in my first description of the problem above.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here, I'll answer your question. We were typing at the same time
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
THe archive is of my emails. I went to File, Clean-up, Archive (I'm not at the other computer so I'm not sure of the exact labels), and then I mistakenly had highlighted my inbox folder rather than the first subfolder. I named the .pst file and saved it. I've created archives of folders like this before.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Ok, so you can choose file open instead of file, import pst..

And it will open.. But not when you do file import.. Question, have you tried running the scan pst exe tool on the PST file to see if repairing the pst file will allow you to import it normally?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I have not. Can you tell me how to do that?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I type "scanpst" in the search program box from my start menu, nothing comes up,
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Its in a mostly hidden location.. This will help you find it

https://www.outlook-apps.com/scanpst-exe-outlook-2013/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I'lll look
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can get to my office 15 and office 14 subdirectories, but there is no scanpst.exe file there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found it. It is in a sub-sub-sub directory (within Microsoft Office 15, Root, Office 15). Do I just double click on it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, the scan is running.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There were minor repairs to the file. I tried the import function again and I still get the same message. Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As an experiment, I'm trying to import other email pst files and I can't import any of them. This is a problem. Any ideas? If you could call me in the morning, that would be very helpful. (###) ###-#### Easier than typing
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

In the morning, we should start by discussing the types of email accounts you have attached to outlook.

if you have an exchange account.. We should remove the exchange account.. T hen import the pst file.

And only after weve imported, do you want to add the exchange account.. As exchange accounts can sometimes kick up this error.

If you dont have an exchange account, then we have some investigative work to do in the am. Maybe, build a new outlook profile using the control panel > mail application.. And then import.

D.S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My Outlook often shows that it is "disconnected" in the lower blue border. Could that be the issue? That Outlook can't upload because it's not really connected?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know what an Exchange account is. I only have the one online outlook.com connected.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Anything we do, I cannot risk losing the ability to see the archive of the emails that I mistakenly archived. Currently I can see them by "opening" the archived file. Anything we do that will preserve that functionality (and also not lose any of the other emails I currently have) is fine. Just let me know what time we can get started. Perhaps 8 am EST?
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

9:30 am would work a bit better for me, as the first hour of my morning is usually spent running maintenance and filing reports, updating calendars, etc

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
9:30 is great. Thanks. I can try some stuff tonight -- How can I know for sure what version of OUtlook I'm running?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nevermind -- Its Outlook 2013 according to some pictures on the web. Talk to you at 9:30 am. Thank you
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Not a problem.. I'll look for your replies in the morning.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dustin, I'm here. Can you call?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

My sincere apologies for the delay.. Unexepcted difficulties on my end kept me from connecting or working with you till now.

I will be here and working for the next 11 hours today.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm being helped now by microsoft. No need for your services.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

In that case, the link below will be of interest to you

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Customer: replied 6 months ago.