The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

Can you protect several different groups of cells with

Customer Question

can you protect several different groups of cells with different passwords on one worksheet?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. It should be possible, but before I can answer definitively, I will need to know what the version and name of the software program you are using. Is it Microsoft Excel or something else?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 5 months ago.

The answer is unfortunately no.

While yes you can protect different groups of cells, you can only have 1 unique password ***** sheet.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but excel is just not designed to do this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. Alison here. I believe that you can do this, I have Office for MAC and Office 2016 so I can't test the instructions on Office 2011, but...per Microsoft,

"In Microsoft Excel 2002 and in later versions of Excel, you can now use passwords to protect specific ranges in your worksheets. This is a change from earlier versions of Excel, in which one password ***** to the entire worksheet, which might have several protected ranges."

How to apply separate passwords

To apply different passwords to two ranges in a worksheet, follow these steps:

Note: In the example below I am using the ranges ranges B2:B6 and D2:D6

1. Start Excel, and then open a blank worksheet.
  2. On the Tools menu, point to Protection, and then click Allow Users to Edit Ranges.
    Note If you are running Microsoft Office Excel 2007, click Allow Users to Edit Ranges on the Review menu in the Changes group.
  3. In the Allow Users to Edit Ranges dialog box, click New.
  4. In the New Range dialog box, click the Collapse Dialog button. Select the range B2:B6, and then click theCollapse Dialog button again.
  5. In the Range password box, type "rangeone", then type it again in the Confirm Password dialog box, and then click OK.
  6. Repeat steps 3 through 5, selecting the range D2:D6 and typing "rangetwo" as the password ***** that range.
  7. In the Allow Users to Edit Ranges dialog box, click Protect sheet. In the Password ***** unprotect sheet box, type ranger, and then click OK two times. When prompted, retype the password.
  8. Select cell B3, and then start to type "Dataone".
    Notice that as soon as you type D, the Unlock Range dialog box appears.
  9. Type "rangeone" in the Enter the password ***** change this cell box, and then press ENTER.
    You can now enter data in cell B3 as well as any other cell in the range B2:B6, but you cannot enter data in any of the cells D2:D6 without first providing the correct password ***** that range.

The range that you protect with a password ***** not have to consist of adjacent cells. If you want the ranges B2:B6 and D2:D6 to share a password, you can select B2:B6 as described in step 4 earlier in this article, type a comma in theNew Range dialog box, and then select the range D2:D6 before you assign the password.

When you apply different passwords to separate ranges in this way, a range that has been unlocked remains unlocked until the workbook is closed. When you unlock another range, you do not relock the first range. Likewise, when you save a worksheet, you do not re-lock a range.

You can use existing range names to identify cells that are to be protected with passwords, but if you do, Excel converts any relative references in the existing name definitions to absolute references. Because this may not give you the results you intended, it is preferable to use the Collapse Dialog button to select the cells, as described earlier in this article.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how this works for you. If you need clarification on any of the steps or have additional questions I am happy to assist. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.

When your problem has been resolved, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it!

I will repeate, You can have one single paassword on any single sheet, protecting any range or as many ranges of cells as you want, but a sheet cannot have more than one password ***** it.

The answer is unfortunately no.

and ask a question right in my box,