NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I Need help creating a Template in Word 2016 I created a

Customer Question

I Need help creating a Template in Word 2016
I created a template named: 1 Space Times using the following procedure:
1. Open the document.
2. Add, delete, or change any text, graphics, or formatting, and make any other changes that you want to appear in all new documents that you base on the template.
3. On the File menu, click Save As.
4. On the Format pop-up menu, click Word Template (.dotx).
5. In the Save As box, type the name that you want to use for the new template, and then click Save.
6. On the File menu, click Close.
I create a blank document that is single spaced, has Times New Roman font, indent 0,0, and spacing 0 point, 0 point, which are the features I want on a new document. I follow the above-mentioned instructions.
It does not appear to save 1 Space Times template, because when I go File, New it does not show the new template in the list of templates. The first template in the list is Blank document and it has the font Calibri 11 point (Body). This template is the one pulled up by Ctrl N.
I have looked at instructions for Create a new template based on another template, but the first instruction states On the Standard toolbar, click New from template. Word 2016 does not have toolbars like Word 2010.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you today.

What is the filename of your newly created template? I am referring to the resulting file in the procedures you said you followed.

Also, where did you save the template file?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The filename was 1 Space Times

maybe I should name it 1SpaceTimes

The direction I used are from https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-and-use-your-own-template-a1b72758-61a0-4215-80eb-165c6c4bed04

Save a document as a template

1. Open the document.

3. On the File menu, click Save As.

Unless you select a different location, the template is saved in /Users/ username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates.

If you are using Mac OS X 7 (Lion), the Library folder is hidden by default. To show the Library folder, in the Finder, click the Go menu, and then hold down OPTION .

6. On the File menu, click Close.

For location it states:

In the Save As box, type the name that you want to use for the new template, and then click Save.

Unless you select a different location, the template is saved in /Users/ username/Library/Application

I did not create a folder. I shall look at the location they give.

I Will let you know what I find

The instructions state that templates are located at:

This PC/Local Disk (C:)/users/James Boucher/ and I didn’t see /Library etc.

Numerous templates are shown when I go File, New but I do not know where they are located...

I found /This PC/Documents/custom office templates directory with

1 Space Times as the only file in it

I need to locate the directory with the other templates and copy

1 Space Times into it. I'm moving all of my files and programs to a Samsung 1T SSD and running Windows 10. There is a major learning curve.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you using a Mac or a Windows computer? The path that you are missing, the one with "Library", is for Mac computers. That explains why you are not seeing it if you are using Windows 10.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Using Windows 10

Had other time constrained projects.

I shall get back to this shortly.

I know I need to find where my templates are on SSD with Word 2016.

Switching back and forth from Windows 7 HDD and the Windows 10 SSD while getting programs and files moved.

Using Search Everything.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

James,

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix your issues while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess