Pete, Computer Expert
Experience:  MS Office expert

Office - the main part of the message is: *.xlsx could not

Customer Question

Office for Mac - the main part of the message is : *.xlsx could not be found.
Check the spelling of the file name and verify that the file location is correct.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: iMac - late 2009 10.10.5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Complete uninstall and re-install of Office 2011
JA: The Microsoft Office expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, a solution would be great...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It looks like $52AUD has just been taken from my Paypal account????
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is going on????
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

If you repeatedly click OK on the error does the file open?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
On the first click, the error disappears, the program stays open but the file does not.
Same result with all Excel files and this problem simply arrived out of the blue.
I have done a complete uninstall - re-install and update, for no good result.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

What is the full name of the Excel file you are trying to open?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The attachment is a screen copy of the error message, which includes the full name of the Excel file.
This is not relevant however, because ALL EXCEL FILES are affected. No files will open. They all give the same error message.
The other Office programs (e.g. Word etc) are all fine.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for that.

This error message can occur when you save or open a file if the path to the file (including the file name) exceeds 218 characters. This limitation includes three characters representing the drive, the characters in folder names, the backslash character between folders, and the characters in the file name.
This behavior is based on a 256-character limitation in Excel for creating links to another file. This limit of 218 characters for the path name is ***** ***** the following:

• Up to 31 characters in a sheet name.
  • Apostrophes and brackets used to denote the workbook name.
  • An exclamation point.
  • A cell reference.

This behavior will also occur if there is a square bracket in the path.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Try saving the file on your desktop and rename it to a shorter name and let me know if it opens ok there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the suggestion Pete, but I have already tried that, several different ways.
It's not logical that that should be the solution in any case because all these files have been opening just fine, for years .
This problem showed up the day before yesterday. We've retraced our steps, trying to find the culprit with no success so far.