NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I am working on a Mac and have saved a document over a book

Customer Question

I am working on a Mac and have saved a document over a book manuscript I have been working on for 2.5 years and want to know if it is possible to revert to a previous version.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It's a MacBook Air and I'm using Yosemite
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I googled the problem and rang Microsoft. Some sites recommended using the 'revert to' in the file menu but I don't have this. I have also tried going through preferences to the 'save' tab but there are no files there. I looked in trash for recovered files and recents for previous copies
JA: The Microsoft Office expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Is there a cost involved
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Microsoft Office Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: What are the technician's rates?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 6 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi

Give me a moment. I will get back to you with possible solution of it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you

Have you setup a time machine application in your machine?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not that I know of - how can I check

choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Time Machine

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've looked and I don't think it is set-up as it says I haven't selected a location for back ups

ok. Let me see why "revert to" option is not available. Did you check if this option is available in other applications/software like Text editor etc

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got the impression it wasn't available on Mac from Microsoft- sorry, haven't used text editor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Bhavik, it is almost midnight here in Sydney - can I pick our conversation up in the morning?

Sure ,No problem

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks - if u find anything message me here and I will try it when I get up. Thanks for ur help so fat

Alright , Just one thing which all editor(s) you are using ?

except manuscript

Please follow the instruction of below document

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try this but the files were not lost - I saved something else over the top of it by mistake. I will try this tonight and let you know what happens - thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I put in this URLs it says I am not connected to the Internet but I can open any other web page in Safari- what does that mean?

Please try to open your document in some other editor like microsoft word etc and see if you are able to see "Revert To" option under file menu.

Even after trying that you are not able to see then the reasons could be, You might have created your file in different mac and trying to restore it to previous on new mac machine.

Also check if , you have not checked the checkbox of "Ask to keep changes when closing documents", which disables the version tracking or Auto Save option.

1. Open “System Preferences” from the  Apple menu and click the “General” pane
  2. Uncheck the box next to “Ask to keep changes when closing documents”
  3. Close out of System Preferences
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have run the ease software and checked all the drives but it only finds existing versions not previous ones.
There is no 'revert to' in Windows for Mac
The tick box in the General tab is already unticked.
Any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm using the same MacBook Air I have been working on all week.

Please check if these options are enabled

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, options 1 & 3 are already ticked - I don't have the second option.
It has been a while now and I am doubtful we can retrieve the file anymore.
Maureen

Yes, It seems to be difficult to retrieve it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Behaviour, thank you for trying so hard to resolve this issue but I am going to request a refund now. Can you do this on my behalf or do I need to request it?
Thank you
Maureen
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, that should have said Bhavik!