Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have 2 purchased versions of MS Office, Pro Plus 2010 and

Customer Question

I have 2 purchased versions of MS Office, Pro Plus 2010 and Home Student 2010.
Had switched to Pro in 2013 for a job I got that needed it. Started having problems recently with File menus crashing it in Word and Excel. just reinstalled the Home version, and the problem is still happening. Have run lots of diagnostics. Would like to uninstall both and do a fresh install of Pro. Need nothing higher than 2013 for a new job coming. Question: The company I bought the Pro from has gone out of business and the Product Key that I have MS says is not valid. My Home key is valid but useless to me for this job.
Can you advise me how to proceed to get a fresh copy of MS Office Pro without having to rebuy it again?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 5 months ago.

Hi Trish: Microsoft product keys do not expire, so it sounds very likely that the copy of Office you purchased is pirated. If that is the case, there will be very little you can do to resolve this except to purchase a legitimate copy of the software.

Here are two things you can try before that, though:

Attempt activation of your Office software via phone. Call Microsoft at(###) ###-#### ***** explain the situation. The activation technician to whom you're connected may be able to override activation of your software and make it functional again.

Report the suspected piracy to Microsoft using this online form. It will take Microsoft awhile to investigate, but, afterward, they sometimes offer a discount toward purchasing legit Microsoft software to persons who are victims of software piracy schemes.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The company was evaluesoftware. I've seen a lot of complaints just this morning about them. When I purchased this and downloaded it, it worked fine though, so I'm confused as to why it is not valid now. It's unfortunate.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I purchased this in 12/2013, so it's been awhile. Aside from that. Is there a way you can help me fix the software that I still have on my computer, since I paid for this advice? I'm having trouble with the file menus crashing the programs when I try to open a file or save a file in particular.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hope you can help me... I need to work with Word today, and the clock is ticking for me!!!

Yes, evaluesoftware sold pirated Microsoft software...they would purchase a small number of legitimate keys, but then assign those keys to multiple "purchasers." After awhile, Microsoft's activation servers would alert them to the use of a single key being used by so many different people, and the key would be blacklisted. That's no doubt what happened here.

I can certainly help you with the other problem, though! Let's do a remote connection so I can more quickly fix this for you...no extra fee.

When you are ready to proceed, please click this link from the computer on which we will be performing service:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=719965aa-9bbc-4131-b991-38a413515c0c

You will be directed to a page on JustAnswer.com explaining our Secure Remote Assistance service and presenting you our terms and conditions. After you have read these through, please click on the green I ACCEPT button to continue. You will then be prompted to download a file named Elsinore Screen Connect Client. Once that download has completed, simply run (double-click) that file to be connected to me!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I get the chat box back to talk to you?

I am needing to remove myself from this request in order to attend to an urgent matter @ work, but will open this back up for another expert to assist you. We will have someone with you very shortly.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Trish

To check, office is already installed you just wish to get it repaired so it works correct right?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hope very soon, my stress is off the charts
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Ok, which version of windows do you have installed?

And whats installed at the moment? 2010 or 2013 that we need to repair?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,
It's a bit complex. I think I inadvertently bought MS Office 2010 Pro from a bad supplier, key now not valid for a fresh download from MS. I need Pro for a new job coming up. Have Home which has a valid key and can use that for some work but not all, so ultimately I want to get Pro 2010 installed with valid key which I will work on. For now. I would like to see if the Pro version can be fixed. Both are on my computer now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Windows 7 for OS. Have Home & Student 2010 (valid) and MS Office Pro Plus 2010 (apparently not valid for redownload, but it is on my computer now, just not working correctly when I try to work with the File menu in particular, and very slow suddenly.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, I cannot supply keys or software, we do not sell software here Trish ... you need to contact the person you purchased it from for this.

But I can work with you to repair office.

Can you close all programs

Then click start, control panel, programs, uninstall a program.

Click on Office, click change, then repair.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me how it now operates please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand all that. I have the software on my computer now. I have done that, and Eric did that also, It stops 2/3 of the way through with an error message.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First of all, I need to know if it is bad to have both Home and Pro installed on the same machine?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

It does not help having both on the computer

Uninstall Home as Pro has everything home has plus outlook

Then tell me how it operates please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the chronology. I had Home, uninstalled to upgrade for work to Pro. Worked on Pro for 3 years, then just recently started having these problems with the File menu. Tried to fix, couldn't with the method you just suggested. Then, tried to do fresh install of Pro from MS and found out my prod key was not valid. (eValueSoftware, now out of business). Reinstalled Home which I have a valid key. So now both are on my computer, and neither are working correctly.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

what was the error you got when the repair failed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't remember... I'll do it again so you can see it.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok Richard,
It says error 1305 Can't read a shared file with MSO.DLL at the end of it. It's in the Office2014 folder.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

thanks

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if office improves.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, working on this
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did sfc and it repaired 2 files imageres.dll
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

good, complete the rest of the instructions and let me know the results please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,
I did everything and the problem still exists. Chkdsk said I had a clean volume disk. Then opened up Word and it crashed again. I can't afford to spend anymore money... unless it is to buy a new version of Office Pro and do a fresh install. Any ideas?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, uninstall office home please, tell me when you have

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already did that before I ran all these scans. I just have Pro on the comp now.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, now try to repair Pro please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you help me remotely without an extra charge if this doesn't work?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

no sorry, it is an additional cost, but you are doing well with my instructions so we can continue like this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, same thing again error 1305, got 2/3rd's way through and did not finish.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

when did this problem start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Word started acting funny over the weekend
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, the only other option left rather then a reinstall which means you need to get the valid product key is to do a system restore.

This will return the computer to how it was before this problem started.

To do this, close all programs.

Then click start and type in

system restore

press enter

Follow the onscreen steps and choose a restore date from when it was last working.

Let it complete and tell me if it is now functioning please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Richard,
Prior to this encounter, I have done all the steps you have suggested through my own research. My sole objective is to get Office to work so I can work. I feel like this has not been productive. Should I uninstall this Office and buy a new version and install. Do you think that will fix this...i.e. do you think the problem is isolated to the Office program?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

So you ran SFC and Chkdsk? Then why do it again?...

And you already did a system restore?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
because I thought maybe I missed something, or it may have gotten worse from all the diagnostics. I'm not an expert, so I was just doing what you suggested, always willing to learn.
So, hoping I'll be able to get into this mountain of work that's building up... what would you do. Buy new office, uninstall the old?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

ok, if you already did the system restore then you have to uninstall it and install office again. This is the only step now. and if you do not have office you can use to install, then you will need to purchase a replacement sorry, if you cannot contact the company you originally purchased it from.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
unfortunately, they went out of business after robbing a bunch of innocent folks like me. According to Eric, they were caught selling keys to multiple people by Microsoft. I can't find a number to call Microsoft to discuss my problem. When I tried to do the online piracy form, the form freezes after I enter my key and try to put in the date of purchase. It's all really a pain. I just want to be able to get back to work. Who do you suggest I buy Office Pro 2010 from that would be reputable.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

I advise from Amazon as then you are covered, you can get it here

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Business-Genuine-Product-Sticker/dp/B010MZ91SO/ref=pd_cp_65_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=RZDQBQ3E4S5WM59PHV9Z

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Richard!
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

your welcome Trish!

If you need anything else, please let me know and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you