Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Product Developer at Computer Science Corporation
94617175

Accounting spreadsheet in EXCEL & Macro problem: My

Customer Question

Accounting spreadsheet in EXCEL & Macro problem:My payroll spreadsheets which I designed in 2005 for my own use have not been usable for the macro problem -- the original computer is gone and I didn't know the spreadsheets would be inoperable on any computer other than the original one. And today, opening the spreadsheet in Windows 10 I don't even get blocked by the usual blurb that the macros will block me yet I can't access the spreadsheet anyway.Who do I go to to fix this? I've designed similar sheets for daily/misc, weekly and other pay periods in addition to the semi-monthly as you see here. And I'm worried about them being taken from me. As you'll see, this is a warranted fear as these spreadsheets should have been making me money all this while.Who can I go to? I've been in an Excel chatroom in the past and got no fast answers. Go to Microsoft? Whoops?!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 5 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer.

Please share that spread sheet with me and tell me what all issues do you have in it.I will try my best to help you out in it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try again to upload the spreadsheet.

Thanks for sharing it. What all problems are there in this spreadsheet?

Is the error shown in below image is the problem for you ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is it.

Alright !. I will help you in resolving it

Can you send me original excel file which you used to use?

It seems we are facing this problem because file was not converted well.

And we are getting this error because macros are not having any code inside them. They are just empty. Do you have code saved for them anywhere ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is not an "original" wkbk. I developed this piecemeal at my job because Quickbooks was not working for me in the matter of payroll.I don't know if I have any wkbks with codes in them but I will look and hope. Someone in an EXCEL chatroom emptied my codes in an attempt to help but obviously this didn't help.What is my chance of getting the macros out of the wkbks and replacing them with new?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the Raid drive from the original computer. Might this help? If so, I could find the shop to do it.

Yes, If somehow we can get original workbook then we will convert it easily . if you have a drive with you then you can retrieve your original workbook with macro code. Keep it safe somewhere in your email box and then use copy of it and then save that excel sheet to .xlsm file.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The Raid drive failed years ago and it will cost money to get the files out of it if possible. I share the drive with another person and we might split this cost -- that is the good news. The bad news is, if we're to believe it all 3 drives in the device failed which is unusual. I just learned now, it is all 3 drives and I hope this is a mistake. It could be a mistake.Please do something for me different than what I originally asked you to do which was to make the workbooks usable on your own. I'm going to have to present a plan to someone with money -- a philanthropist or such organization -- and ask them to invest in me and my workbooks. Please outline for me what I need to do and how much it will cost. Please ask me any questions you need to.

I think in this case we need to code macros again. Can you tell me the logic to create all the macro ?. I will try to write it down.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you! All of the lightning strikes next to employee names on the quarterly sheets were keyed to scroll the sheet down to the respective employee's payment grid. At the bottom of most every sheet is a icon that scrolls you "back to top". On the with''g tutorial sheet there are lightning icons for both federal and state tax tutorials. Are those all the macros there are? I'm surprised. I don 't think there are any macros at all that do anything more complex than get you up and down the sheet. But I'll look again. Thank you.

No ,there is not code in this sheet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not ready for the remote connection. I thought you offered to replace code in the now-empty boxes.

That was an automated remote assistance request which you might have received. okay, I will start coding macros for scrolling up and down and will give it to you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Having luck with rewriting codes? It's too much work to ask of you. I'd prefer you give me written directions to give to someone else and I hold them for when I can pay for the service.

I think you told me just to put the scroll up and down back and while doing that I thought it would be meaning less to add those scrollers without Macro code. I do not know which logic you used earlier in this sheet. I have put scrollers back in your sheet do you want me to send it or you would ask those to add it who will be doing coding for macro.

For its coding, developer would need clear understanding of requirement and purpose of this sheet. My write up won't be useful for them.