NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have a file on my computer which has been working

Customer Question

I have a file on my computer which has been working perfectly. I went to open it tonignt and got error message the file is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened should open office.org correct the file yes or no. another message comes up general error. general input/output error. I clicked yes Iwanted it repaired and apear to have lost everything. Is there any way I can retrieve this document. I have tried sytem rstore and system restore from bull guard back up with no success. does this mean I have lost the contents of this file
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 5 months ago.

Hi Customer! I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having with a corrupted file. Unless you had either manually saved "versions" of the file as you worked on it or backed up the file somewhere else, there isn't a good way to recover this file. However, here's a bit of a "hack-y" method that may recover some of it:

Open a new file in OpenOffice, and then choose INSERT -> FILE from the top menu. Select the file you're having trouble with, and attempt to insert it into the new document. Depending on the amount of file corruption, this may bring in some of all of the contents of your file.

It's a bit of a long shot, to be very honest, but I've got my fingers crossed for you! Kindly let me know if that works.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks but its come up saying that the file extension is not valid.

I'm sorry to hear that. In that case, I regret that the contents of the file will be unrecoverable.