Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proficient in all programs within office pro suite.
63493917

I accidentally didn't save my latest changes on a word doc

Customer Question

Hi. I accidentally didn't save my latest changes on a word doc before putting it on a thumb drive.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: I have a macbook air, word for mac 2011
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried recent versions--didn't use a different file name/extension. I thought I could get versions that I was just saving not even an hour ago
JA: The Microsoft Office expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I'm a journalist and am on a deadline! I should have had this on time machine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

When you click SAVE on a document, the current changes are written to the same file.

So ....if you open a document, make a single change, and then click SAVE, the change gets written to the same file.

.

The SAVE AS button is what you need to use to keep the OVERWRITTEN phase from happening.

When you open a file, make a change, and then click the SAVE AS button a NEW file is created, and now you have BOTH files. The original document, and the newly created document that has the change on it.

.

So, if you have been working this whole time with the SAVE button, then yoru original file has been overwritten many times, and the original is now lost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Right--but I kept saving it to maintain the changes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
isn't there a version that i was working on hours ago that would be accessible?

No....you overwrote that version when you clicked SAVE