The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support

I am using multiple data ranges that are combined into a

Customer Question

I am using multiple data ranges that are combined into a pivot table. The Row column shows the first column of data from the multiple ranges. For example:
row values are 100, 200, 300 (all product ID numbers), and it shows units for each of these for 4 locations and a total for all 4 locations.
What I need to do is add descriptions to the row values. Row 1/column 1 shows product 100, I need to have the next column show the description of product 100 (e.g. candle. so that column 1(product number) = 100, column 2(description) = candle, and then have the pivot table populate the values for each location with a final total.
What I have now:
100 4 1 3 2 10
What I need is
100 Candle 4 1 3 2 10
I am in excel mac 2011.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 4 months ago.

Hello David, and thank you for choosing

YOu can use formulas/functions to pull data from specific cells, and populate OTHER cells.

However, the way Excel was designed, and HOW you are trying to use it....dont match up so well.

Formulas/functions are CELL based, and you would want ALL individual values to have their OWN CELL. Instead of your 4 locations inventory plus total, being in the same cell, you would want each location to have its own cell, and then a seperate cell for the total as well.

That way, you can use formulas/functions to populate totals, and when you update the location for inventory, the totals will auto-calculate based on the updated inventory value change.

With seperate individual values for each cell, you will be able to use formulas/functions.

So what do you have done so far?

Can you upload the file here, so i can have a look?

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 4 months ago.

i think what you want is possible at least on windows, not sure how to do it on mac, do you want to set up a remote session and go through the settings?

i sent you an additional service offer in case you decide you want to do the remote assistance

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am willing to do a remote session. However, I need to know first that you are truly and expert in pivot tables and know how to add a second (third,...) description column ( associated with the row listing) for the data values presented in the column data. Per my email, if the data contains in rows the order number, description, and product ID, how do I show these items in the Row data on one line for the column values I am interested in.

it would really be best if you show an example of what you want to do. But I know it is possible to show side by side data on windows, just not sure about mac.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.