flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Problem with mail merge is that if you use the "If " to do

Customer Question

problem with mail merge is that if you use the "If " to do conditional printing and the cell is empty the label and the text do not print but a line feed is generated is there any way to suppress the line feed.
I have a lot of if statements and there are a lot of empty lines generated.
Microsoft article states
Blank line is not suppressed in a conditional mail merge
This article was previously published under Q264892
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
SUMMARY
By default, Microsoft Word suppresses blank lines in a mail merge when the result of a MERGEFIELD is blank.
However, when you perform a conditional mail merge, the result of a conditional field may be blank. This causes an extra blank line.
Email
Print
SUMMARY
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  swmcdonnell replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** look at a copy of the worksheet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

It has confidential information, but you can create any worksheet. There are no embedded special characters in the cells. That is not the problem. Already tried by creating a dummy sheet with just one letter in each cell. same problem

I'm going to opt out and see if someone else can help you. Without being able to look at the spreadsheet and see the problem, it's difficult to be of assistance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If you really need to see it I can create a dummy excel and send you the word document that I use for the mail merge
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 6 months ago.
I can give you a few suggestions.One would be to create the condition as a column in the excel spreadsheet. Any If statement you can do in the mail merge you can do in the excel in a new column. That way you just have to merge based on the new cell rather than the condition. That will suppress the blank line.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The condition is always the same print the text in the cell if not empty. Will create the dummy over the weekend. Already produced the report I needed ASAP by just deleting the extra blank rows. Just don't want to do that every time I run it with new data
send me the sheet and the merge form that you use as well.you might do better with something like if not = " " because it should not print if the condition is an empty cell and the cell is empty. But if there is a space in there it looks empty but its not technically an empty cell. But again excel just handles these conditions better than word does.creating a column that says if a1 is empty or a1 = "" or a1 = " " then X else * gives you a very simple merge in excel of merge if B = *.