caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer
Experience:  Office assisters to you
75835320

Saved over a word document and lost the old version JA: I

Customer Question

saved over a word document and lost the old version
JA: I love the irony of this stuff being called a productivity tool, lol. I'll hook you up with the Microsoft Office Technician who will get you productive again. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I added a new page to work document. I then accidently saved but the other pages were lost. Only the new page exists
JA: Is there anything else the Microsoft Office Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  caraleneK replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question todayThank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you.I am very sorry to hear you are having so much trouble, I would love to get to help you with this.I really think the best way to help you is with a Remote Session. Due to the complexity of the issue you are describing .Also what version of word do you use for me to help you better. Waiting your feedback
Hello Carlin please note i waiting for your feedback to help you..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this in addition to what we paid yesterday? I am not feeling optimistic about recovering this file. My 15 yo daughter cut and paste over her entire paper and hit save. There is no external back up drive that Time Machine can back up to.... If you are 90% sure you can help recover the file, then I will move forward.
Thanks a lot for the feedback what version of word do you use??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac, Version 12.2.6
Thanks for your feedback please see if this will work for you ..Open the file you want to view a previous version of in that application, click the File menu, and point to Revert To. You’ll see a list of previous versions of the file, and you can click “Browse All Versions” to flip through them. If this solution worked for you then please don't forget to rate my answer so I am paid for my time
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is not even an option...
Thanks do you have AutoSaved on in your documents ??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I honestly don't know. I am sure it is. Not my computer. Isn't that a default setting?
For this version of Office for the mac, Please following this location to see if you can pick up the file :Users//Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office 2008 AutoRecovery/
If I may I will suggest to setup AutoSaved and time machine if you like I can assist you with it..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I am still trying to find the "Office 2008 Auto Recovery" file.it looks like this: Macintoch HD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found it, but I cannot see the file we are looking for in here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you have any other suggestions, or is my daughter doomed?
sorry i was looking for software but i think you poor daughter is doomed
All the software ask for auto saved to be on.Please, Rate if you are SATISFIED with my help, as this is the only way the site will give me credit for my time.
Hello again if you like can help you to setup time machine and auto save on all your documents to prevent the same thing ..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will take you up on that; however, I am not at that laptop right now. Can I work on this later?
Yes thanks let me know when you ready to do this..
We need a external hard drive to setup time machine backup .Open Time Machine preferences from the Time Machine menu in the menu bar. Or choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Time Machine. Click Select Backup Disk. Select an external hard drive, Time Capsule, or other storage solution from the list, then click Use Disk And to enable automatic save in Microsoft Office 2008Open Microsoft Word (or any other Office App).Hold Command and Comma key.System Preferences window would open.In System Preferences > Save > enable "Always create a backup copy" and "Save Auto Recover info every 2 MinIf you setup both option you will always be able to recover your data, Please let me know if you need more help or if i have to log on to the machine and do this for you .. Waiting your feedback... or a rating...
Expert:  caraleneK replied 6 months ago.
Hello again hope you well today just follow-up to see if you need more help??