Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
58597962

I am having major problems with my vlookups anytime I do them

Customer Question

I am having major problems with my vlookups anytime I do them in Excel or in Google docs. Everytime I try to do a vlookup I get mostly #NA in columns where I know the data is clean that I'm pulling in from the other table. Can you please look at this example and tell me what I'm doing wrong in my formula to cause the data to not be pulled in correctly? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1stlJ9N7CFLeoaV52K_n7hcpAZmwJCDfXQs_7EbuPMR8/edit?usp=sharing
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 9 months ago.
The formula you need is =VLOOKUP(A228,'JITV export.csv'!$A$2:$B$232,2,FALSE) Notice the "$" part. So if you copy without $ Excel will adjust the rows (so every row you copy the formula down, it adds 1 to both sides of the range). Some of your formulas were A4:B234, or A16:A246, so the vlookup range did not contain the cell with the text you were looking up. I could not save back to your google doc, but I did export it and attach it as a xslx file. All you really need to do is add the $ to cell C2, select that cell and copy it down column C. Note that if you leave the lookup function as $A$2:$B$232 it contains all the cells now, but not if you add more rows. Recommend using $A:$B, then your function will search all rows in columns A and B for the lookup. I put that formula in column D so you can see it works as well. Let me know how that works for you and ask questions if you have any.