caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer
Experience:  Office assisters to you
75835320

MS Office 2008 Mac issues after updating to Mac OS X El

Customer Question

MS Office 2008 Mac issues after updating to Mac OS X El Capitan.I just updated to Mac OS X El Capitan and have having some difficulty with two MS Office 2008 Mac applications.First, when I open an Excel spreadsheet from an alias I have in the dock (and this would be booting up Excel by clicking on the alias in the dock) my document opens as a redundant file--for example if my document was named "myexcelfile" and I open it from the alias it opens as "myexcelfile1" instead of "myexcelfile." Thus when I go to save it will automatically "save as" and I either have to save a new version of the document (thus creating multiple versions) or change the file name back to the original (so remove the "1") and then asked if I want to overwrite the existing file, etc. I've never had this problem before so this is a new one on me. I do not have this problem if I boot up Excel first then open the spreadsheet from the File/Open... optionThe second issue I'm having is with Entourage (MS Office 2008 Mac). Each time I open Entourage it automatically opens a new blank e-mail. Again this is new. I didn't not have this problem before upgrading to El Capitan.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  caraleneK replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question todayThank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you.Do you have you office software to reload this office on your machine. Waiting your feedback to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do.
Thanks for the feedback can we remove your office and reload it ??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I assume so. Am I going to loose anything by doing so? Software updates, etc?
Let first see look at this for meQuit all Office for Mac programs that are running.Create a folder on the desktop, and name the folder Preferences.On the Go menu, click Home.Open the Library/Preferences folder.Drag the Microsoft folder and any preference files that begin with "com.microsoft" to the Preferences folder on the desktop.Start the Office for Mac program, and then try to reproduce the problem to determine whether the problem was resolved.Waiting your feedback
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have a "Library/Preferences" folder. Here is what I have:
Thanks can you find you office folder to move it ??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The entire MSOffice folder? I find that but do not find a "preferences" folder. Are you asking me to move the entire MSOffice folder?
Yes please move the entire folder to the desktop and test office if not working we will reinstall office
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Moved. There is still a folder in the applications folder labeled "Microsoft Office 2008" See attached
ok first open office and see if you still have this problem before we also move this folder
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. Same problem with both Excel and Entourage.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just noticed that when I moved the Office folder to the desktop it created it as an alias. I guess you can't just move application folders out of the applications folder?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You still there?
Hello yes i am ok so move the folder back please and move the application folder. I know El Capitan have a lot of problem with office let just see .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't move the application folder. It will only create an alias. Apparently with Mac OS you can't just move things out of the Applications folder.
Thanks so please go back to your office and confirm all the update is installed
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I do that?
Thanks just make sure this patch was also done?? https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=36897
Do you have MacKeeper on your machine??Please download and install EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck Run it and post the report here for me to look at
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It says "Office 2005 12.3.6 Update can't be installed on this disk. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume." What do I do now?
Let just remove and reinstall office.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And we're back to the original concern. Am I going to loose all my preferences and updates by doing this?
Yes you will. Please run this software. Download and install EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheckso i can have a look at your log files
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are several "run" options: 1. Computer is slow, 2. Beachballing, 3. Computer is restarting, 4. Apps are crashing, 5. Other Problem, 6. No Problem - just checking. Which one do I use?
other problem please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Done. What next?And, before we do anything else, am I going to loose my address book, e-mails, etc by reinstalling MSOffice?
We need to backup all you data but let me first look at the log file can you upload the file please
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Attached.
To start of you need to remove this files from your machine you can delete itAdware: 􊋏/Applications/Uninstall IM Completer.app~/Library/Application Support/com.genieoinnovation.Installer2 adware files found. [Remove]When complete reboot and test office one more time. Waiting for your feedback
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Says "You can't open the application "Uninstall IM Completer" because it may be damaged or incomplete"
Do you have malwarebytes on your machine ?
If not please install the free version and run it let see if it pick it up and delete i https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/I also see this Auto backup: NO - Auto backup turned off. If i may ask do you have a backup ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I backup to an extrnal HD periodically.Ran Malwearbytes and found two items. I removed them as instructed by the program. Restart again?
Thanks
Yes please restart what the two items the two i send you??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. I ran the program you told me to run--malwearbytes--and it detected two files on my hard drive. It asked if I wanted to delete them and I said "yes."
Running the command on the machineLaunch the Terminal application from the /Applications/Utilities folderType the following command as one line and press return:/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/chown -h -R root:admin "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008" "/Library/Automator" "/Library/Fonts/Microsoft" "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft"Enter administrator password ***** prompted
We still need to delete the two file names i send you it malware
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Running terminal as requested resulted in this:chown: /Library/Automator: No such file or directory
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can't find the two files you requested to be deleted so I suspect they have been deleted by malwearbytes.
Thanks for the feedback have you reboot and test you office again ?? Also have you run the repair disk permissions, simply perform the following: Open Disk Utility (located in Applications > Utilities or Spotlight “Disk Utility”)Select your startup disk (if in doubt, it’s usually the first one in the list)Click Repair PermissionsWaiting your feedback
Expert:  caraleneK replied 6 months ago.
Hello Mark hope you well today please note i waiting for your feedback to if the next step fix your problem.Please, Rate if you are SATISFIED with my help, as this is the only way the site will give me credit for my time. If you still need help, ASK FOR MORE HELP by replying to me.