caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer
Experience:  Office assisters to you
75835320

I am trying to add page numbers in the footer of multiple microsoft

Customer Question

I am trying to add page numbers in the footer of multiple microsoft word (2011) files. I want them to be numbered chapter-page (e.g., 1-1, 1-2, etc. then the next file to be 2-1, 2-2, etc.) I go to the Header/footer. I select 'Insert Page Number' I click on format and click to check include chapter number. Then I get an error that says "There is no chapter number to include in the caption or page number. To apply chapter numbers use the Bullets and Numbering command on the Format menu and select a multilevel list style that is linked to the Heading styles." I go to the Format Bullets and Numbering but am unsuccessful in selecting multilevel list style. Can you help me figure this out?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  caraleneK replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question todayThank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you.Please if this will work for youOr a rating Waiting your feedback ..or a ratingGo to the Insert tabIn the Header & Footer chunk...Click the disclosure triangle on the Page Number buttonChoose Format Page NumbersIn the Page Number Format dialog, tick “Include chapter number”; and set the page numbering to start at 1.Repeat steps for each subsequent chapter.