michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Indept expertise on MS Office package
26798893

How can I recover an unsaved document that just disappeared?

Customer Question

How can I recover an unsaved document that just disappeared? I have the first couple paragraphs only.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  michelleclive replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.Did the power shut down and you lost the document?What software was the document created was it in MS Word?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Did the power shut down and you lost the document?What software was the document created was it in MS Word?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This was not a power outage. More of a brain outage. Something popped up and said save, close don't save. I must have erroneously chosen "don't save" and my doc was gone - except for the first paragraph. I have been working on this document sfor about 3 hours and losing it is quite upsetting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't want to subscribe to just answer - I just want an answer tonight!!
lost the doc on what software is it MS Word?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes MS Word
Subscription is an option if you do not want you can close it.
Microsoft Word documents can be lost in certain situations. For example, the document may be lost if an error occurs that forces Word to quit, if you experience a power interruption while editing, or if you close the document without saving changes. This article explains steps that you can use to try to recover the lost document.Note Some lost documents may not be recoverable.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/kb/316951
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure how to do that - I paid $37.00 on PayPal a few minutes ago. That ought to hold me for tonight, right?
So I'm to go to this site and it is going to do what???
I have given you the answer about MS word lost document please click on the link and check in what all circumstances you can recover lost data and in what situation it cannot be recovered.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
See, the problem is that the choices that come up are not in sync with what you say to click on... I don't think I can do this on my own - and now in addition to losing my document, I have perhaps wasted $37.00 and shattered my hopes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Remember I am on a Mac
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there??
I am sorry about the loss of the doc however i have tried to explain in what circumstances you can recover the doc. In case of Word stopped unexpectedly or it pops up with any error and then it shuts down. In your case you accidentally closed the save option which already prompted you to save in that case MS Word functioned normally and there is not other way ever Microsoft can recover the lost data as the choice was already given to you. I hope you will understand the logic behind the unsaved doc and if you have any question feel free to ask.
Methods of following the steps are almost the same as in Windows computer and MAC.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But when I went to recent doc - scrolling is not an option - and there is no open lost or unsaved doc choice
Click on this link for mac recovery steps.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/892956