GeekGal
GeekGal, Microsoft Office Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting Microsoft Office products
76665483

I opened a Word file I had been working on and other than

Customer Question

I opened a Word file I had been working on and other than the title it is now blank -- I am trying to recover a previous version. I am in MAC OSx time machine is turned on but forwahatever reason there is only the version with nothing in it I am beside myself\
JA: I love the irony of this stuff being called a productivity tool, lol. I'll hook you up with the Microsoft Office Technician who will get you productive again. Is there anything else important you think the Microsoft Office Technician should know?
Customer: i can look up the Word version this happend yesterday
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Good morning! My name is*****'m a certified computer professional with 15 years of experience. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. I will need to ask a couple of questions in order to provide the best possible assistance. What version of OSX do you have? If you aren't sure, from the Apple () menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X”. Also what version of Word do you have? Is it Office 2011 for MAC or Office 365 for MAC or something else?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Office 11
OS X 10.9.5
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that information. By default, autosave is turned on in Word for Mac. I am going to provide instructions for retrieving a previous version of a document using the autosave feature.

Browse, restore, duplicate, and delete versions

1. Open the document, then choose File > Revert To > Browse All Versions.
  2. Click tick marks along the timeline to browse versions.
  3. Display the version you want, then do one of the following:
    • To restore your document to this version, click Restore.
    • To duplicate this version in a new document, press the Option key and click “Restore a Copy.”
    • To delete this version, move the pointer to the top of the screen to show the menu bar, then choose File > Revert To > Delete This Version.
    • To leave your document as is, without changes, click Done.

Explicitly save a version

Choose File > “Save.”

To save the document using a different filename, location, or format, press the Option key and choose File > “Save As.”

Revert a document to the last opened version

Choose File > Revert To, then choose Last Opened, Last Saved, or Previous Save.

If the instructions that I've have provided have been helpful to you, kindly take a moment to rate my service. As an independent contractor for Just Answer I do not receive credit for my answer or any compensation at all without a rating of 3 stars or more. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, please let me know so we can continue to work together. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When i open the doc and choose File as instructed there is no choice to click on "Revert...." So i cannot do what you tell me to do - alas
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Let's go about it a different way.

1. Choose File→Open from the menu bar.

2. Type AutoRecover or type a keyword or phrase in the Spotlight Search box in the top-right corner of the Open dialog.

3. Double-click the most recently saved AutoRecover file, or select the file and click Open. If you did a keyword or phrase search, use the Last Opened information to help you choose a likely file to open.

If the file you want is grayed-out, choose All Files in the Enable pop-up menu, which allows you to open any file type.

If this doesn't work, let's make sure that the autosave feature is turned on.

1. Choose Word→Preferences→Save from the menu bar.

Word’s Save preferences are displayed.

2. Change the number of minutes in the Save AutoRecover Info Every:[X] Minutes setting.

The default is 10 minutes. Entering a lower number saves more often, but you may notice Word is more sluggish when it saves so often. Entering a higher number may make Word perform better, but you may lose more changes if a power outage or computer crash occurs.

You can deselect this check box if you don’t want Word to save an AutoRecover file. You might do this for extremely large documents that take a long time to save. Of course, if you experience a power outage or computer crash, you will lose all your changes since the last time you manually saved the file.

You don’t need to select the Always Create Backup Copy check box. With AutoRecover and Time Machine, the bases are covered. The option is there only for backward compatibility.

3. Click OK when you're finished.

Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When u say open file from the menu bar- and search for auto recover i tried that from within the doc. AND outside from just on the desktop - neither way gets me anywhere - aito save is turned on
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry that we're having trouble. If you'd like, I can offer the Premium Services of a Remote Desktop Connection. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, but need more help, we can continue here.

I have a slightly different version of Office (Office 365 for MAC) and a slightly newer OS (10.11.4) but the instructions that I am providing are supposed to Work for Office 2011. Perhaps if I can actually see the screen it I can find the file for you. If I can't, don't worry. Our work is guaranteed. You can ask for a full refund.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi i appreciate your effort to assist me. I will not proceed further as i no longer believe this is going to work i want to stop now and have a refund thankyou
Expert:  GeekGal replied 8 months ago.

I will contact customer service on your behalf. Have a great day!