Michael Norman
Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Director of Technology
77547562

I need to remove the 25 lines and the vertical lines from

Customer Question

I need to remove the 25 lines and the vertical lines from this document. any short cut?
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
attached
Expert:  USLawAnswers replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

The most reliable and fastest way I know of is to select ALL of the text, and then paste it into a new document with NO formatting.

MS-Word and Word Perfect both have a "Paste Special" option in their "Edit" menus.

This should work whether the lines and numbers are formatted as text/paragraph elements, or if they are in the document as watermarks or vertical headers or footers.

If the paste without formatting trick doesn't work, look to edit or delete any watermark(s) or headers/footers that wound up getting pasted in.

When all else fails, I will paste the text into a word processor that does not support the lines and numbers (the built-in WordPad or NotePad mini-programs) (if there is a no-formatting option or strip formatting function, use it), inspect it for anything goofy and correct it, then copy the whole thing again and put it into a new document in my more advanced word processor.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
seems numbers of line are mixed up with the main body work no processor are cognizing the difference. so in this case am I stuck taking line numbers off manually?
Expert:  Michael Norman replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is, Mike. I have looked over your document and part of the issue is that it is a RTF file, which is Rich Text Format. RTF documents lack a lot of the special customization that is included in more advanced word processors. It essentially strips all of the embedded coding and provides just a basic text document. This creates a problem when trying to format. In this case you have two options; 1) you can click on each vertical line on each page and delete it manually and highlight the numbers in groups of one paragraph at a time and manually delete, or 2) you can highlight each paragraph at a time and copy and paste it into a new document without the lines and numbers. I noticed when playing with the document that the numbers and lines were tied to paragraphs, so I was able to highlight just the test of each paragraph without it automatically highlighting the lines and numbers.