flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

My name is ***** ***** and my microsoft office just stopped

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** ***** and my microsoft office just stopped opening, excel and word files will not open and the message 'oops, something went wrong, we cannot open your programme?' how can I fix it? I reloaded microsoft 365 for home and had deleted all previous office programmes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: not really, I can open PDF files and pictures, but word, excel will not open - I did not yet try powerpoint.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Microsoft Office Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

if this just started please try doing a system restore to a time when it did work before we go into other trouble shooting. If that does not work i would need to know if the program itself wont open or if it wont open when you click on a data file rather than the program

System restore instructions - windows 7 8 10

hold the windows logo key and hit R
in the box that appears type

rstrui.exe

hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settings box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work and I tried to re-contact you but no luck, perhaps error on my system. Tried restore, tried full scan, tried reloading MS office and finally copied all files and re-set my computer - all done now and working, however your response did not succeed in resolving the problem and it took two days for me to do it myself. I trust that with the funds I paid that I am not now a member of Just Answer - if I am please cancel. Many thanks. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to access my account to cancel the membership according to instructions from Google as to how to cancel my account, but this no longer works - please cancel my account. Many thanks.
Peter