NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

Multi choice drop down box

Customer Question

Multi choice drop down box
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Harold Hanna replied 9 months ago.

Hello, can you elaborate on your question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Harold,I am creating a spreadsheet that has the following columnsName of Event, Date of Event, Host, Task, Due Date, Stakeholders.I need to be able to sort on each column but the Stakeholder column needs multiple departments listed and each one needs to be 'sortable'. I know I need to use Data/Validate but I can't work out the multiple choice data validate area. Several departments could be involved in one task and could all be ticked/selected when the task is entered.Can you help here?LIZ

Hello Liz, I will opt out so we can find someone who is more experienced with spreadsheet's to help you better.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 9 months ago.

would really need to see an example of what you are trying to do to be able to help

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi there
I've attached the Excel file.
I am building an Task List/To Do Sheet for various departments who work collaboratively on projects/events.You can see the names of the columns, Name of Event, Date of Event, Host, Task, Due Date, Stakeholders. I need to be able to sort on each column but the Stakeholder column/s needs multiple departments listed and each one needs to be ‘sortable’ presented in a drop down box. Several departments could be involved in one task and could all be ticked/selected when the task is entered, I've placed this column at the end to allow several departments to show when ticked, separated ideally by a comma.I know I need to use Data/Validate but I can't work out the multiple choice data validate area.I can combined the Stakeholders in to one column instead of the proposed two if required.Business
Events
Devel – CP
Devel – Phil
Mkt
Patron S
Edu
Fin
ExecArtistic
Production
Wardrobe
Dancers
Training
Artistic DirectorThis sheet will be very long (row wise) hence the need for (drop-down box) covering the entire year but will be used in chunks, e.g. An event, or date period, or by stakeholders (in various meetings) and will be what we draw from to create agendas for meetings with various departments etc.As a new event is added, we literally go to the end, drop in a pre-established list of possible tasks, delete what isn’t relevant and then ‘schedule’ the due dates and involved parties and then re-sort to the standard view on due date.Can you help?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm really behind the 8 ball on this one, the person who was helping me is sick and I'm stuck on the Excel functionality.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello - do you think you will be able to help? Understand if you can't but I need to resolve urgently before going away for work. Thanks LIZ
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi - haven't heard back from you - assume you can't help me.

sorry, there is a timezone difference here, You contacted me late at night when I was sleeping. So it will make communication a little difficult.

It is possible to create multi select drop downs, but this requires programming which I can certainly help with.

I'm not exactly following what you are trying to populate. Are you trying to populate the first sheet, where it lists selections one in each of the first few columns. And then each of the selected departments and you call them going on its own line?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I got help from someone else who was on line