Brian Semrau
Brian Semrau,
Experience:  Technology Consultant at Brian Semrau Computer Consulting
65972148

How do you teach it that "hole" is a word

Customer Question

how do you teach it that "hole" is a word
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The "it" in my question is "Microsoft word"
Expert:  Brian Semrau replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm Brian, and I'm going to be helping you today. When Word corrects "hole" to "whole", does it automatically change it, or does it just mark it as a misspelling (with a red squiggly line)?

If it is just marking it as a misspelling, you can add it to Office's dictionary by clicking File - Options - Proofing - Custom Dictionaries - Edit Word List - type 'hole' - click 'add' - then click 'ok' on the three open windows. This should add it to your custom dictionary. You may have to add both 'hole' and 'Hole' if it marks it as incorrect in both uppercase and lowercase.

If it is automatically changing it to "whole", then it is a autocorrect setting. To fix that, add a autocorrect exception by clicking File - Options - Proofing - AutoCorrect Options - Exceptions - Other Corrections - type 'hole' - click 'Add' - then click 'ok' on the three open windows.

I have attached two PDF documents with screenshots of each step. Let me know if this doesn't fix it, you have any questions, etc. :)

Thanks!
-Brian

Hi! I just wanted to follow up and see if the instructions that I sent were able to fix your problem?

Thanks!

-Brian