Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I need to save a file in a CSV format. Everything I have

Customer Question

I need to save a file in a CSV format. Everything I have tried does not allow me to retain the leading zero's. Please help.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

You need to use a ' to stop excel removing the leading 0's

So use

'00000000

Excel wont display the ' in the Cell but will leave the leading 0's alone

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried that and it eliminated the zero's when I saved the file. Need another solution.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

can you attach the sheet to this question please do I can see the format

Use the Attach File button

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you get it?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

yes, checking it now

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

ok, as a CSV you cannot stop this for these numbers as it always treats it as a number.

Is there any reason it cannot be an XLSX format which stops this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can try it, but I spoke to the person in the state health department and he said the CSV format is required, as well as the leading 0's. he said others have submitted it this way, and I need to make it happen on my end. Due tomorrow, by the way...
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

No, others will not be able to do this, not in CSV, its one of the limits of CSV, but the XLSX file is exactly the same for all programs except it keeps the formatting.

But this is a documented issue with CSV, and in a way it makes sense as it has no format control in CSV

It needs to be kept in the Excel format (xlsx)

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My in-house IT person solved the problem for me. Using an apostrophe did not work either.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Yes, as I indicated in my last message to you, it needs to be an XLS or XLXS file, then the apostrophe will work for you.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you