flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Procedure to edit "Recent Documents" in Excel spread sheets.

Customer Question

Procedure to edit "Recent Documents" in Excel spread sheets. Wish to remove unwanted files in the listing.Any assistance would be appreciated.Thanks and regards.3James **
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

What version of Office do you have?

On most you have to go to File --> Recent --> right click on locations and choose clear unpinned places

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have "Office Home and Student 2007".
Have followed procedure File--> Recent --> right click on location, do not know how to, "choose clear un pinned place". Kindly advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See above reply
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

try this, click the office button in upper left --> options --> advanced --> Display --> put 0 in Show this number of Recent Documents

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see if you still need help with this issue, if so please reply at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After our various efforts on Sunday I attempted to respond to your enquiry and instruction which I added to the email from [email protected] justanswer,com] at 1:48 PM in the green coloured “Ask another question”. Having entered my response, to your email, that I am using Office Home and Student 2007 and that I not able to follow the instruction to edit Recent Documents. I attempted to “send” it to you but there was no “send box” on the document. I attempted to contact you again and received a message that you were not available and that someone would contact me later.A number of emails have been received and replied to which have added to the confusion and finally late Sunday I decided to close down and try to phone you on Monday. Unfortunately Monday turned out to be a very busy day and I did get back to this effort till late yesterday evening.So now, Tuesday morning I am trying to sort out how to attend to the problem.In my Excel spread sheet I go to the top left corner of the screen and click on ‘office button’ which gets me to “Recent Documents”, I then I do not get the “choose clear unpinned places” instruction.What am I doing wrong or am I missing something?
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

you still online?

Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Cody.
This is my final effort to continue the dialogue. Up to now there has been a lot of confusion resulting in frustration. Have been in contact with your Customer Support and received a detailed procedure to follow which arrived just before this from you. I have still to receive your response to my question as to whether my original requirement can be achieved and if not I suggested that the file be discontinued.
I have not attempted to rate your performance as I am not aware if my original requirement can be met.
Once the situation is resolved and a decision made to go on, or not, I shall be pleased to complete a rating to reflect all your efforts in trying to achieve a completion.
Hopefully this will be received by you to understand my position. A resolution of the issue is of paramount importance to all.
Regards, *************
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

Can I remote in to fix this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Cody. Have just completed a reply to this following the instruction ‘continue the conversation” and at the end was the instruction “send” which I clicked. I have checked my sent tray but it does not appear. Hopefully you are in receipt.James
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, if you would like remote access help please accept. I can opt out if you would like someone to help you by chat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Cody.
Today I have received two separate emails from you. Each has identical times Friday February 6 2016 6.123 AM !!
The first subject -- I just answered your Microsoft question --.
Frankly I can''t understand what you are telling me. You say" I'. m not sure what you're talking about. I have tried to decipher, but to no avail, I am lost and cannot respond.
The second subject -- Can I offer you a remote the support?
I have to comment that I am not interested in this approach. Over the years (I am now 85 years old) I have had a number of computers and at times had people work on them--friends, family, certified techs. with the problem that on return the units were different and I had to relearn how to use them. I do not want to have a repeat, hence my not following up on your offer.
In going over my file I wonder if you received my response added to your email dated Tuesday February 2 2016 10:13 AM. In case you did not, I am quoting: Have followed this latest procedure. Result - all recent docs REMOVED!! My requirement is to EDIT the list, not total removal. Is my requirement unobtainable ??
As I have not found a response in my file, I ask the question again.
Regards, **** ******.
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

I will open this to others to see if they can help you.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

You can clear the recent document list easily. You can set it to not show any recent documents easily

however to selectively decide which documents to show is not easy. It can only be done in the 2007 version by finding the list in the registry using the regedit command and then selectively deleting them

hold the windows logo key down and hit r

in the run box that pops up type

regedit

hit enter

now navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\File MRU

in that key is the list of recent documents one per line

right click on any that you dont want to see on the list and select delete

This page has complete instructions with pictures. But you need to replace "word" with "excel" in the actual registry

https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/word-2007-deleting-individual-documents-from-the-recent-documents-list/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A number of messages have disappeared from my ‘ín’ and ‘out’ files, however I try to print most emails and have some copies of correspondence between JustAnswer and myself. Your comment on the topic was not lost, thank goodness, so I can try to respond. If this does not reach you, I shall try to contact your customer support staff, in a couple of days to try to make contact.To respond to your suggestion, I am too well aware how to erase all the Recent Comments, as was experienced after Cody’s last message. Now to address your additional suggestion which hopefully will enable me to ’edit’ comments, I must advise that I expect to maybe have to replace this system to correct what caused the losses. Therefore I will be out of action for some time.If my luck is in, and you do receive this, could you please drop me a short email to advise of your receipt.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Open Excel. Click on File and then Recent

Now you will able to see Recent Workbooks.

Right click on the file you need to remove and select Remove from List

Regards

Jins

Regards
Jins

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

If that works great. But I don't believe it will in the 2007 version.