Math-Stat
Math-Stat,
79514296

Excel question: I am trying to determine the difference

Customer Question

Excel question:I am trying to determine the difference between two dates - as you'll see in the photo I attached, the timestamp is formatted as such: January 03 2016 01:32 AM - What I want to do is determine the difference in h:mm:ss from the date in Creation Date (column D) and Closed on (column F). I've tried a Google search and tried (F1-D1) however because the months are in text it's not working. Please help!I'm also looking for a simple solution - not complex.
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not a homework/tutor question - this should be directed to an Excel Expert. Thank you.
Expert:  Math-Stat replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for using this site.

Can I help you? please reply asap.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help
Expert:  Math-Stat replied 1 year ago.

By the way, as one of the strict rules of this site, we cannot post our emails or any private information here, (also for our own protection). But there is one option I can send to you my email (using a private dialog box) so that I can send the answer to your email, in order to prevent others from downloading or copying the answers if I will post them here. (please do not post your email here) Do you want me to use that option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No please just answer here. I don't need your email
Expert:  Math-Stat replied 1 year ago.

ah ok, because I am planning to send you the excel file for example:

but since you prefer here, I will try to explain:,

ok you need to type or encode the date from

January 06 2016 10:18 PM

to 1/9/2016 22:42 format, then after that, in that format (2nd format) the excel can easily convert that into number code by clicking the button General, then number.

This button is in the middle of wrap text and conditional formatting.

after you have converted to number code, you can easily subtract the two dates.

Another way is typing this formula:

=TEXT(B1-A1,"m/d/yyy h:mm AM/PM")

but before using this formula, you need also to manually retype the dates into

1/9/2016 22:42 format

Thanks

*************************************************************************************************************************************

If you are satisfied and happy with the answer, please choose a high rating. (so that I get paid) If you need more information, clarifications, or are not satisfied yet, choose 'Continue the conversation'. Bonuses are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I knew how to do that and I believe I stated that already. I need to know how to easily convert the date which is in text right now to a date field like 1/2/16. The file has many records so this isn't something I can do
Manually. If you are not an excel or Microsoft expert or don't know how to do this please opt out so someone qualified can answer. Thank you
Expert:  John D replied 1 year ago.

Hi, please attach the Excel file so I can set up the formula directly on the file

Expert:  Math-Stat replied 1 year ago.

kindly accept the offer, thanks