flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

How do link a field in one table to the data in another? I

Customer Question

How do link a field in one table to the data in another? I may have to set up the query different.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Do you mean to add multiple tables into one query in Access?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. ? Let me see how to explain.I am working on nominations forms. nominations are complete. I have a unique ID for each nominee with 4-6 questions answered about them depending on the award (16 different ones) that they were nominated for. Now, I am trying to match the unique nominee with the question and the answer so I an make a report that the selection committee will use to choose the winner.In my nomination table, I have the unique nominee with the submission answers. In another table, I have the questions for each award. I cannot seem to figure out how to do a second query that pulls them together so I can create a report.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, and how is your Tables structured?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will need to pass right now for the remote access. I'm paying for this and will not be reimbursed through my company. Let's keep talking, though I know the value of the remote support. Can I add some screen shots?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

yes you can, attach them to the question please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. grabbing the screen shots now.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is what my end report should look like - Nomination ID, award name, questions , answers
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok... but I need a lot more information that that sorry.

To start with, then Tablet Structure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is the nomination data - you will see only two sets of award answer fields. There are 4-6 answer fields per award and they are all listed in this table . you can also see the other tables I have created.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
working on it.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
here are the queries i have made. the only ones cut off are a few more award questions quieries they model the others.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what else do you need/want to see?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

ok, sorry but without the remote desktop, its just not going to be possible to solve it this way. IT requires too much information and sending it via screenshots will not help

I will have to opt out, and perhaps another expert can approach this

You do not need to do anything, you will be notified when an expert takes over.

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry and thanks for your help. I know this is tough without remoting in. THanks for trying.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 10 months ago.

this page might be helpful

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Guide-to-table-relationships-8a027791-b8a3-4a32-aa99-e06c4e272c45

if you want to pay a little bit more you might send me a copy of your access database and i can link it and send it back

there is no need to send the actual data just a copy of the tables with a few fake records will do.