Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

My name is ***** ***** i have a document that i was working

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** i have a document that i was working on and hit the don't save button and i'm trying to find a way to recover it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i'm using word for mac 2011 is there a way to restore a previous version? i have since activated the auto recovery, alas, after i lost the one with the revisions
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Microsoft Office Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: only if satisfied? what if that means that no one can restore my document?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com,my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Considering you are using office for mac, and considering that auto recovery wasnt activated before the file loss..

Theres really only one option. So before I agree to the phone call, I need you to try and launch time machine.

Is it already setup and configured and making backups.. Or, does it ask you to set it up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't think that i have the time machine or is that the default? this is a relatively new laptop
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Its included on every mac.. The question is, was it set up.

To find out, open spotlight or your finder.. type in time machine.. And then launch the time machine app.

Whats it show you on screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it wasn't set up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am i lost?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats unfortunate..

Do you use any other backup software such as Carbonite, acronis true image, or any other backup software?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says, "to select a location for backups"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. I dont want to waste your time or Mine. If there was an alternative, Id help you find it..

So theres no way I can help you recover the last document.. We could however, discuss setting up time machine or another software so that in the future, you have a version history you can refer to in case of file loss..

let me know if youd like to try that..

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can do that. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Youre welcome.. Though I do wish there was more that could have been done..

There is one more small possibility.. Do you actively use the one drive program for mac. One drive is the office cloud document storage software..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't think so, unless its the default
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Its worth a check.. Use your finder and type in one drive..

If the app is there, launch it.. If it has any copies of your files, let me know~

if not, thats the last possible hiding place we could check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no such luck. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you can help me set up the auto recovery or time machine, though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi there, i'd like your help
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay.. I didnt realize you wanted or needed further help.

Lets discuss time machine, as its far more useful and reliable then just auto recovery.

Do you have an external hard drive available, or time capsule?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't worry about it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

For future reference, if you dont have an external hard drive. You can get a mac compatible 1 terrabyte hard drive at a reasonable price.

http://amzn.to/1n48aHL

Then to setup time machine, all you have to do is connect the external drive to your mac.

Then start time machine.. It will ask you where you want to save backups.. Choose the external drive.

And it will do the rest. A*****will allow several months of backups. Thats several months of file versions or program versions.. Time machine is an invaluable tool in many situations and not just for recovering a previous or lost version of a file.

Food for thought~

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.