Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
58597962

I can't get an answer to an Excel Sum formula if one of the

Customer Question

I can't get an answer to an Excel Sum formula if one of the values in the sum is itself a sum.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

Can you attach the excel file (using the paperclip above where you are typing) or upload to wikisend and copy/paste the id?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attached is the file I pulled from the main source, but the issues are the same - see the highlighted $0s that should be sums
ps - there is no paperclip on my end.
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I am looking at it now and I see what you are talking about.

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so there was a circular reference. Let me explain. The formula in cell C18 was =sum(c13:c21), so excel is trying to sum cells C13 through C21, including C18, where the sum is going. Everytime it sums, C18 updates, so the formula must update, so C18 updates, so the formula updates, etc. When you tried to sum C18 and C19, Excel just gave up, because it can't really compute C18. If you change the sum formula in C8 to sum C13 through C17, =sum(C13:C17), everything seems to work.

Expert:  Zabo04 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I meant change the formula in C18. My 1 key is going bad.

Were you purposely trying to do a circular reference (to make a for loop in Excel)? I have done that before if you were trying to do it on purpose.