NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

Why since upgrading to Microsoft 10 are all of the attached

Customer Question

Why since upgrading to Microsoft 10 are all of the attached documents on my e-mails are opening in a protected process and will not allow any to open. At the moment all attachments sent to me I have to download to a file, right click on the document, go to properties and check the box to unlock the document. I am unable to do this when the attachment is on the e-mail. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your help.
J
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jay, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using MS Outlook 2007, 2010 or 2013?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not sure, how do I determine this?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for writing back. Are you using a web browser like Internet Explorer, to access your emails? Or do you have an email program like Microsoft Outlook?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have outlook not sure whether it is 2007 or 2010
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

Can I remotely access your Windows 10 computer so that I can directly check and fix the problem while you watch on your screen?

Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.

Please let me know if you want this remote option.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thank you.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I respect your decision over remote access. We can proceed in this chat mode then.

Please do the following:

1. Open Outlook
  2. Click on File => Options
  3. Click Trust Center
  4. Click Trust Center Settings
  5. Click Attachment Handling and UNCHECK all options there
  6. Click on Automatic Download button in the left panel then CHECK all options there
  7. Click OK
  8. Click OK again
  9. Close Outlook
  10. Open it again and test opening attachments.

Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did all that you instructed but still opens my attachments in protected view and does not allow them to open.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Can you please tell me more about that opening in protected view but not opening? What exactly is the error message that you are getting?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it has a message box saying opening in protected view with a blue streamer that migrates from left to right. Then it does not open and has a message box about opening files from unknown sources. Sorry I am not satisfied with this process and I won't allow my computer to have remote access by a non Microsoft employee. When I started this session I thought I was dealing with the Microsoft help desk. Sorry for my disappointment.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

I am very sorry about the confusion. You are contacting us at JustAnswer.com and we are a legitimate technical support company. We are not affiliated with Microsoft or other brands but I can assist you with this issue.

Please check this link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/about-us

Our remote access tool is safe and secure and it will be a faster mode of help since I can actually check and fix the issue while you watch. But if you want this chat option, I respect that.

Can you please tell me what type of attachments do you have there? Is it a Word document? Excel file? PDF file?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, I do not want my computer to be remotely accessed and I did not realize this would be part of the process. I am dissatisfied with this solution that you have offered. Please stop this session based on my dissatisfaction. Thank you.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 11 months ago.

Like I mentioned, I respect your decision if you do not want remote access and we can still proceed in this chat mode if you still want.

I have procedures ready for you if you want to continue with this question. But if you want to discontinue, I also respect that.

I am sorry if I was not able to help.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess