NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

Am deji my wod documeent just shut down word unexpectedly

Customer Question

Customer: hi am deji my wod documeent just shut down word unexpectedly how can i retrieve an unsaved work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it just came up with microsoft word has to quit unexpectedly and restart i dont have the document am working on saved as i checked open recents and it wasnt there its a macbook
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Computer Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yeah i dont mind please help
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. My name is***** undertand how frustrating it can be to have Word shut down expectedly, when you are working on a document. I will provide detailed instructions for recovering your work.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

To resolve this issue, try to open the AutoRecovery files that you saved during the session. By default, Word for Mac saves all the AutoRecovery files in the following folder location: Macintosh HD/Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data

To open the AutoRecovery files, follow these steps:

1. Close Word for Mac.
  2. On the Go menu, click Home.
  3. Open the Documents folder, and then open the Microsoft User Data folder.
  4. Locate all the files that start with the words "AutoRecovery save of."
  5. For each file that matches this criteria, rename the file. Then, add the ".doc" file name extension.

Note When you do this, the icon changes to a Word document icon.
  6. If the icon does not change to a Word document icon, follow these steps:
    1. On the File menu, click Preferences.
    2. Click to select the Show all file extensions check box.
    3. Close the Advance box, and then repeat step 5.
  7. Double-click the file. The document now opens in Word for Mac.

Note If the AutoRecovery files are not in the Microsoft User Data folder, verify that the default location has not changed. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start Word for Mac.
  2. On the Word menu, click Preferences.
  3. Click File Locations.
  4. Note the folder location that is listed for AutoRecover files.
  5. Click OK. Then, quit Word.
  6. Repeat the steps that are listed at the start of this section. However, instead of performing steps 2 and 3, open the folder location that you noted in step 3.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 11 months ago.

I believe that following these steps will allow you to recover your documents. If you have difficulty with this or if you would simply prefer to have someone else do it for you I am would be happy to remotely connect to your computer and perform these steps for you. Please let me know your preferences.