Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

When editing text in a document (manuscript), when in

Customer Question

When editing text in a long document (manuscript), when in "paragraph" I cannot set "keep with next" under line and page breaks as my default. After each paragraph it goes right back to "keep lines together". Following the help instructions hasn't worked.
Please help!!!
Matt C
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Word is really confusing when it comes to formatting.

Keep lines together will apply to lines within a paragraph. But keep with next is meant to create that behavior between line breaks. For example, selecting a paragraph and selecting "keep lines together" will prevent it from being broken at a page break. But if that leaves the heading alone on the previous page, you can then select the heading and select "keep with next". Almost the same thing, except keep lines together applies only to paragraphs.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My question was how to set "keep with next" so that it does not always and immediately revert to "keep lines together"?
I am trying to fill each page to the footer. Currently, however, it does not allow paragraphs which are too long to fit on the page to split up, leaving large portions of pages unfilled.....I can set it once only to have it revert to keep lines together. Thus the question is about changing default; which I have also repeatedly attempted to n avail....