Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

After I completed the latest round of changes in my WORD

Customer Question

After I completed the latest round of changes in my WORD document the TOC keeps stopping before it completes. If I accept all the changes in the document then it works fine.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that is owing to it being easier for MS Word to assemble a TOC, when the document is completely saved onto disk in a unified way.

So, where is the problem, exactly? or what do you need to know?

Note: it may be helpful (after, of course, closing all open documents completely and closing all MS Word windows and other MS Office programs and documents also...) to run Windows Update, and make sure to apply all critical and important updates to MS Office and MS Word. That could improve program operation and stability.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before the last set of changes the TOC would show all 25 sections along with appendix a thru g. Now everytime I run it stops in a different section and doesn't make it all the way thru.I have closed and saved the document multiple times and it still will not completely make it through the toc. However if I accept all the changes then it works. Unfortunately I can not accept all the changes at this time.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

However if I accept all the changes then it works.

- exactly what operation is that? I need to be sure, to give you advice on this matter.

Unfortunately I can not accept all the changes at this time.

- so you want to complete the generation of the TOC by some other method, in other words?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The changes in the document were put in using WORDS track changing function. It adds change bars and identifies inserted and deleted text. If you accept changes it keeps the changes but remove all the markings like the change bars. I am NOT trying to do anything different with the toc then I ever do. I am selecting everything and using the f9 button to generate the toc.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What version of MS Word are you using, please?

(Help - About Microsoft Word

will tell you the MS Word version # *****)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Were the changes put in the document, but not Saved ?

If not Saved, then the TOC generation may be stalling because a place marked as a change, but not yet Saved, has been reached. Don't ask me what the details are - I'm not sure - but it may also have to do with the size of the document or its degree of complexity.