IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

When trying to run a few reports. I get the error message:

Customer Question

When trying to run a few reports. I get the error message: "Can't update. Database or object is read-only". How do I fix this?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

What program are you using that reports this error?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are using Access 2007
Expert:  Cody replied 1 year ago.

I'm not familiar with Access, I'll let someone who has the expertise take on this question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will check in the morning.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is*****

If you get that error message for only one Access file, please go to the location of the file, and right-click it and select Properties. Make sure the "Read-only" check-box is not checked. If it is, un-check it and click OK. Re-open the file and it should work now.

However, if the "Read-only" check-box wasn't checked, but you still see that error message, you can then copy that file to another location, for example to your desktop, and then run it from there.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No, this did not work. There are several files affected. I went to each one and viewed the property sheets and there is no "read-only" there.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

OK. Have you tried copying them to your desktop, and then running them from there?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
These are network files used by several people.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

For testing purposes, please copy one of the Access files from the network location to a desktop and then run it from there. Let me know if it will open.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I was able to fix it by going to the database tools to replication options and making the replication the design master and applying it to all of the files. Works fine now.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 12 months ago.

Great! I first thought it was a problem with the network permissions so that is why I suggested copying the files to desktop.

I am glad the problem has been solved!

In case you encounter any other issue, let me know.

Regards,