Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

I'm a professional language editor (and translator) based in

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a professional language editor (and translator) based in Norway. I do work for academics mostly. As such I use Word's tracking facility all the while and naturally I often need to undo corrections/suggestions I've already made because I've thought of a better one. Now the actual redo/undo procedure easy as a rule. I just point the mouse to 'undo change' arrow in the quick access bar,click it, and the last phrase I've written is undone.
However, in some documents the redo function doesn't work on a phrase by phrase basis, only letter by letter (or character by character). There must be a reason, but I've never been able to get to the bottom of this. D'you have any idea by any chance?
Chris Saunders
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

If you deleted letter by letter it will undo/redo that way as well. So if you used backspace instead of highlighting the phrase and pressing delete it will go letter by letter.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.

If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Word.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I've been using Word for about 15 or so years now, and know my way around it pretty well.I obviously made a mess describing the issue, so I'll try and explain itone more time.I receive texts written in English by many different people (academics) working in many different organizations (universities, research institutes) who want me to iron out their English before they send their article to a publisher.These texts arrive as Word files, dozens every year from all over the place. When I go to work on the I turn the tracking option on - customers need to see what I've done.Let me give a brief demonstration of the issue in black and white..I have a text in a Word file that is open in Word. I read a sentence which goes: "This decline contributes to a widening gap in smoking rates". I decide to shorten this to: "This decline is widening the gap in smoking rates". And this is how I do it: I mark "contributes to a" and replace the phrase with "is".So far so good.But after a second I decide to go back to the original wording. Here comes the crux of the question I posed, so please pay attention.In some Word documents (i.e. some of the many Word documents that are sent to me and which I work on), I can click the 'undo' arrow once and once only, and the original wording will return, i.e. the "is" will disappear and the "contributes to a" will return. With just one click of the undo arrow.In other Word documents, I use exactly the same procedure as above to mark and replace text. Again, I decide to revert to the original wording. I click on the 'undo' arrow once (as above), and the only thing that changes is the last character I entered. That is, the "s" in "is" is deleted, but not replaced by anything. I click the undo arrow again, and the next but last character i entered changes back, i.e. the "i" in "is" is deleted.I hope you've caught on to the different ways in which the undo function works. It has nothing to do with whether I replaced a word or phrase by deleting each individual letter and replacing them with different letters or if I marked a word or phrase and replaced it with a new word or phrase. That is not the issue. The issue lies in the different ways in which the undo function works - in some the Word files it is possible to undo and replace a changed phrase with the original phrase by clicking the undo arrow once and once only, in others the undo arrow refuses to undo anything butt one character at a time (in those cases I use the reject button, but it's a much more cumbersome method). I also know that I can right-click on a changed word and accept or reject the change. That isn't the problem either.I hope I've made myself clear. I never backspace by the way. If I need to delete anything (without replacing it with other text), I just click on "del"..If I need to be even clearer, let me know.Cheers,
Chris Saunders
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a quick thought that occurred to me today. The Word documents I'm talking about - the ones I work on - are not created by me, but by customers scattered around the country using different computers and different systems.If it would help I could upload a couple of Word files and you could go through the procedure yourself to see the difference in action.best
Chris Saunders
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  NewITZone replied 12 months ago.

Hi, This is Mahbub Shahin. I can help you to resolve the issue. So far I have the information-you are using MS Office. Sometimes, it is being attacked by virus. So if you have antivirus then run a scan and open the file. If not then you have to uninstall the Office and install it again. But remember, to reinstall Office you have have your Origianal CD and Product Key. I hope it will be OK. If you still have problem then upload your file to look at it. Upon your satisfaction please Click on positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No virus on my machine, I'm happy to say. And the problem has survived several clean installs of Windows 8.1 and Office 2007 (both of which I purchased I might add). And they're all updated with the latest patches etc. And anyway, the problem is intermittent - it occurs with some Word documents and not with others. I'd be surprised if anyone had bothered to make a virus that struck only intermittently and did something as silly as changing the way the 'redo/undo' button worked.

I am sorry for not being solved yet.

Please follow few steps. I think the file creates problem that might be compatibility problem. Word files may have been different formats -ending with .txt .odt .docx .doc etc. What you have to do "right click on the file->Click on Open With-> Then Click on Microsoft Office Word.

The If you type something and want to undo it. Do the action-> Look at the Small Drop down Arrow at Right Side of the UNDO button-> Click on that and you will get a list of the action you want to undo. I think you will get options how and what part of contents you want to undo it. If you still have problem please let me know, I can help you in different way. Thank you.

Please look at the photo.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I've had the same idea regarding compatibility. I have a suspicion that the Word files where the 'undo' button only reverses character by character were possibly created on computers running Apple software, or some other non-Microsoft brand of word processing.Anyway, I'll try an upload some screenshots when I get the time.
Expert:  NewITZone replied 11 months ago.

Hello, if you click on the above link you will get the screenshots of the Undo/Redo. But remember to the the steps in case of compatibility to open followed right click. Please accept if you think I helped you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've seen your screenshots - what I meant was that I'll upload my own screenshots. Not sure whether I understood the second sentence of your message. It's not the best example of good English grammar.

I am sorry for my mistake. Please ignore it. I mean that while you open any incompatible file-don't double click it. Instead, Please select the file you want to open then "Right click on the file->Click on Open With-> Click on Microsoft Office Word."

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The problem does not lie in the endings of the documents - .txt, .odt, .docx, .doc, etc. I only work on files with the ending .doc or .docx.Again, just to recap, I've been using Microsoft Word for at least fifteen years, and am relatively computer and software savvy. The question I want answered has nothing to do with file suffixes. It has to do with different responses to one and the same action within Word. I've explained it twice already, and do not want to do so again.By the way, I thought one wasn't charged before the question was resolved, but I see today that you (or NewlTZone) have deducted money from my account. And I'm still no nearer an answer than the day I posed the question. I'd pay gladly if the problem was solved, but it hasn't been.

I am sorry to hear that your problem is not solved yet. As I saw that your question is timed out, I didn't respond. Though your problem is not yet resolved, I am opting out to open for all. I didn't charge your money. But if your money is deducted you can get it back unless you are satisfied. So, you are 100% safe. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think it's a better idea if I started a new thread/question. If a new technician has to read through the whole of this thread, by the time s/he gets to the end, s/he'll never know what the problem is.With a new question/thread, I can tell technicians from the start what the problem *isn't* about and what they don't have to try and answer. We might then be able to concentrate on what the problem actually is.But lack of resolution probably has to do with me not knowing the technical jargon.Thanks for your help so far.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Good morning, though it appears to be around 4 oclock in the afternoon in Norway.

My name is ***** ***** Id like to help you solve this problem. May I ask, is there any way possible you could send me one of the files where the undo changes only works incrementally instead of wholly. Or would that not be possible due to privacy / NDA etc ?