NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

Need excel formula (1-5), N or X (in this order priority)

Customer Question

Need excel formula for min(1-5), N or X (in this order priority)
Example data:
1. 3. 5. 2 X. --> 1
X. N. X. X. N. -->N
X x x x x x x. --> x
X 3 2 N. X N. -->2
3 2 x n n 4. -->2
Thinking this is a nest IF formula?
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried a formula like this, but not 100% effective(ie. it returns X or N, even though there are numbers in 3rd, 4rth or 5th cell.
=IF(E3:L3<=9,MIN(E3:L3),IF(E3:L3="N","N","X"))
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
=IF(E3:L3<=5,MIN(E3:L3),IF(E3:L3="N","N","X"))
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

Can you please send me a copy of your Excel file with your sample data so that I can directly check it and build the right formula for you? Please attach the sample Excel file when you reply using the paper clip icon. Or you can upload it to http://filesXpress.com and then give me the short download link.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a possible solution someone sent me:{=INDEX(E32:L32,,MATCH(MID("12345nx",MIN(SEARCH(E32:L32,"12345nx")),1),E32:L32&"",0))}only problem is if I encounter a Blank cell in the E32:L32 data set, then it returns me an error "#VALUE!" Can you adjust this formula to account for cases where I have Blank cells, in which case we can default to the 'X' value.Thanks Jess!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ray,

Thank you for the sample formula. Can you please send me a sample Excel file with your sample data so that I can actually work on it?

Please attach the sample Excel file when you reply using the paper clip icon. Or you can upload it to http://filesXpress.com and then give me the short download link or the file name of the sample Excel file that you uploaded.

Best regards,
Jess