Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

My friend works police department and works the midnight

Customer Question

My friend works for a police department and works the midnight shift 11-pm to 7-am on a 6-on 2-off basis. However, every instance where the break begins on a Friday or a Saturday, it becomes a three-day weekend.
How do I set this up in a predictive calender in excel or outlook?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

It sounds as if you need to set up some sort of script, that would go forward through Outlook's Calendar and mark some days Off according to the pattern you have mentioned. Perhaps in VB Script.

But looking it up, it seems that to build the calendar as a pattern in MS Excel, then import it into Outlook's Calendar, might be simpler and work. See this page:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/calendar/create-appointments-workday/

viewing the work days as repeated appointments, and building the pattern something like this:

=WORKDAY(A2,6,F2:F147)

as the formula, where cell A2 contains the starting day of the calendar, then '6' for 6 work days, then F2:F147 as a range of cells containing the 'holiday days' that would be the Fridays or Mondays off, on that schedule, and also the '2 days off after every 6 work days' that the schedule would need.

Does that sound workable to you, and which way would you like to proceed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you construct a protected spreadsheet with these rules? If so what would be the cost?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

By regulations I may not discuss pricing at JustAnswer.com. And also I have no power over pricing, speaking generally.

How soon do you need the spreadsheet or other work toward the end asked about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm very satisfied with your answer and will follow up with a phone call next week... What I was looking for was someone to build the routine for me. I understand now that's not the business model of justanswer and I'm cool with that ...
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

No, I don't think that you cannot get your routine built here.

I seem to have given some other impression somehow.

I regret that and I have Opted out, with apologies, opening the case to another Expert in this category that can continue the case.