Can you attach the document here so I can adjust this?
yes that works
Should be an attachment area on the bottom somewhere
I just added the page numbers in Roman Numerals.
sorry I mistaken the question, I'll open this up for someone who is able to answer that for you.
Hello! My name is*****
I am quite good when it comes to editing a Word document. I downloaded your attachment and the problem with page numbering can be solved by inserting page breaks and breaking the link between pages. By default, all pages are linked so that page numbering can continue from one page to another. Once you break the link, you can delete page numbering from the desired pages, such as the title page. You can then restart page numbering or change page numbering format (Roman or Arabic).
Here are the step-by-step instructions:
1. If you have already attempted to insert page numbers and/or page breaks, but it didn't work, I suggest deleting them all, so that you can start over
2. Insert standard page numbering. Click the Insert tab, and click the Page Number and choose the desired position, for example to the bottom of the page - centered. You should then see page numbers on all pages (Arabic numerals), starting from the title page
3. Since Word comes with an option that can remove any page number, footer and header information from the title page, you can enable it. Double-click inside the footer or header area and then click on the Design tab (if not already selected) and check the Different First Page check-box. After that, click the Close Header and Footer button, or just double-click somewhere within the document
4. Now look for the pages you don't want to have standard Arabic page numerals, for example page 2 (Contents). You need to divide the page 2 and the page 3 with page breaks, so click at the end of the page 2 and then click the Page Layout tab and click Break > Next Page
5. You can now break link between those two pages by clicking inside the footer area of the page 3 and then clicking on the Design tab (if not already selected) and un-checking the Link to Previous check-box. After that, click inside the footer area of the page 2 and just delete the page numbering there (number "2"). Close the footer area.
6. You should now have the title page and the Contents page without any page numbering, but the page numbering should be present on other pages. You can now insert the Roman numerals for the Preface section (pages 3, 4 and 5). To do that, click somewhere on the page 3 and then click the Insert tab and then Page Number > Bottom of Page - center (or anywhere else). You should now see Arabic numbers starting from the number "1"
7. To make them Roman numerals, double-click inside the footer area and select the number "1", and right-click it and select Format Page Numbers... For "Number Format", select Roman format and click OK. You should now have Roman numerals starting from page 3.
8. Now look for the last page that you want to have Roman numeral. That is the page 5 (the page before the Introduction). Click at the end of the page 5 and then click the Page Layout tab and click Break > Next Page
9. You have now divided page 5 and page 6 into two sections, so you can break the link between them as well. Click inside the footer area of the page 6 and then click on the on the Design tab (if not already selected) and un-check the Link to Previous check-box. While the footer editor is still open, select the Roman numeral "I" inside the footer of the page 6 and then right-click it and select Format Page Numbers... For "Number Format", select Arabic format and click OK. You should now have Arabic page numerals starting from the page 6 (Introduction) applied throughout the document.
You can follow the same method to separate other pages in order to have different page numbers or footer and header information.
I will also attach the edited Word document - something that you should have after following these instructions. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Sorry, I see the download link for the attached document is not working.
Here is another link that should work:
Your question description doesn't say anything about the headers, only about the page numbering. However, you can still use my instructions to remove unwanted headers the same way as removing page numbering.
So, please check my instructions and let me know if you succeeded. If you encounter problems, I am here to assist you further.
Were you able to edit your Word document by following my instructions?
Let me know,
Please let me know which version of Microsoft Office (Word) you have installed on your computer.
Are you using a Mac computer?
OK, I will adjust my instructions accordingly.
Sorry for the delay.
I tried to get access to the Mac version of Microsoft Office so that I can provide the step-by-step instructions as I did for the Windows version of Microsoft Office, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to do so.
However, from what I can remember, both versions are very similar. Some tabs could be named differently. The Design tab I mentioned opens when you enter the header and footer editor - by double-clicking on either header or footer area. For Mac, you should see a new toolbar when you enter the header and footer editor, so just look something called "Header and Footer" to find the Link to Previous check-box.
Basically, all the "magic" is done by using page breaks and un-checking the Link to Previous check-box. Doing so will divide pages into sections and allow you to have different page numbering.
When I downloaded your attached document, I saw you were on the right track, you only needed to un-check the Link to Previous check-box. Also, you should place the page numbers into the footer instead of the header since the header contains text "J.D. Salinger and the Nazis".
To change between Roman and Arabic format, you need to select the existing page number first, and click Insert > Page Numbers. Click on the Format... button and change the format at the top.
I re-edited the Word document per your requirements. You can download it on this link:
I am here for any further assistance.
Select the page number and click Insert > Page Numbers... and you should be able to change the location.
I put the page numbers at the top.
Here is the final version of the document:
Have you checked the final version of the document I sent you?
Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
I used Microsoft Word for Windows. Unfortunately, I don't have Microsoft Word for Mac so I cannot give you the right instructions, but there shouldn't be big difference between those two versions.
Anyway, I am glad you can use my template.
If you are satisfied with my assistance, please rate it by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of this page.
I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. If you do, let me know.
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.
Sorry for bothering you, but if it isn't a problem for you, please rate my assistance by clicking on the stars at the top of the question page. That will allow me to get compensated for assisting you and creating the Word template.
Thank you very much!