Shefin, Microsoft Office Specialist
Experience:  Working as Tech support specialist with a world famous computer manufacturer
15907069

My hyperlinks in Excel 2008 stopped working. When I click on

Customer Question

My hyperlinks in Excel 2008 for Mac stopped working. When I click on a hyperlink, it responds with an error message "cannot locate the internet server or proxy server". If I go to create hyperlink and copy the link text and paste it into safari (or firebox - same result) it works fine. I have lots of hyperlinks in this workbook that I use over many years. Now all of a sudden they've stopped working. I have searched and searched for preferences that may affect this, but come up empty.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

The quick fix is to change or add a "hyperlink base."

Go to file, properties, summary and enter your new base in the "hyperlink base" field.

For example, if all your linked documents are found in the "documents" folder (even if in subfolders), change your hyperlink base to the following path:

/Users/yourusername/Documents/. Obviously, "yourusername" refers to your own username.

This new path subverts the automatic "hyperlink base" (if kept blank), which refers to the same folder in which you've created your spreadsheet (as you notice when you hover over the hyperlink).

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!
S H E F I N