NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I am trying to have cells on one worksheet, arranged in a

Customer Question

i am trying to have cells on one worksheet, arranged in a duplicated pattern, reference cells on a worksheet in the same workbook. the sheet containing the data is arranged by row, the sheet containing the "printable" format uses the data from those cells out of order. what i want is for each instance of the printable format to reference the data in the other sheet, row by row. what is happening when i try to copy and paste the format is that it skips as many data rows as exist in the printable format. how do i make each instance of the printable format reference sequential rows in the other sheet?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

can you send an example?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ELF Case Manifest is the file i'm working on. "Case Magic" contains the data, "Cases" is the printable format.2015 MS Lineset Schedule is an example of what i'm trying to emulate. in that file, "LS Schedule" provides the data for "Rail Cards"
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

can you send the excel file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i attached them to the last message -- "Elf Case Manifest-Wb.xlsx" and "2015 MS Lineset Schedule.xls"
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i never saw an attachment can you try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
of course! i will send them one at a time in case sending two files was the problem...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the second file (the one i am trying to emulate)
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

what sheet in your file are you trying to set up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the Case Manifest file, the Case Magic sheet contains the data that the Cases sheet is referencing. what i want to do is have the format i created in Cases to be duplicated many times, with each instance referencing a row of data in Case Magic.for comparison, if you look at 2015 MS Lineset Schedule, you'll see that the repeating cell layout in Rail Cards references sequential rows from the LS Schedule sheet.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

can you tell me which cells are supposed to be which columns?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry -- in CASE MAGIC, please disregard Columns A through F -- they are old information.if you click in the various cells of the CASES format, you will see which cells in CASE MAGIC they are referencing. for example, CASES D15 references CASE MAGIC G7… CASES A5 references CASE MAGIC L7, etc.basically, i have set up the cells on CASES to reference the "L" row of CASE MAGIC. what i want is to have subsequent pages of this same cell arrangement pull data from row M, then N, then O, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
background information: i am making labels for cases that carry equipment for a theatrical touring show. the information about the type of case, its contents, and its serial number, etc. are on CASE MAGIC. the CASES sheet arranges that info in an 8.5x11 layout format so people know what is inside of different cases and where they belong, etc.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i really cant find a formula that will do this correctly only way to be absolutely correct would be some kind of macro

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. could you give me a lead on how to write that? on the other workbook i sent you (Lineset Schedule), i don't think that is how i built it -- but i made that like 5 years ago and don't remember!
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

im not exactly sure how a countblank formula is getting the correct value from the correct row.

I can create a macro to do it, but not for the price offered. It will cost more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the formula isn't determining which cell to pull data from, it's just saying that if the referenced cell is empty to display nothing.i'm not really sure how this site works -- can you tell me what you would charge to write the macro?
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i can't do it for less than $99. that is my typical charge for a macro. A macro should be able to figure out which cells to update assuming there are exactly the same number of rows on each page.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

do you have any insterest in continuing?