Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proficient in all programs within office pro suite.
63493917

I've been working on an Excel spreadsheet. It started acting

Customer Question

I've been working on an Excel spreadsheet. It started acting weird so I went to save it and when I clicked on file it went all grey and now I can't do anything. Is there a way for me to save all my work?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JA.

Typically Excel will do an autosave, every couple minutes or so, unless you changed that. It is setup that way by default, to autosave every few minutes.

If the screen went grey, then the Excel program, or windows itself, has become unresponsive. You can....A) wait for it to respond. B) Manually close the task, and restart.

If your system becomes unresponsive, and you HAVE to close it....and the file was NOT saved.....unfortunately the file is lost.

This goes back to the OLD adage....Save OFTEN, and save to a backup. The auto-save feature was developed just for this reason, and is turned on by default. But only came about in later versions of Excel, starting with 2007, I believe.

Here is a web link that has some instructions about autosave, and some other things tolook at in excel.

http://www.excel-easy.com/examples/autorecover.html

Come on back if you still have questions....and post them here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was grey for hours so went ahead and open the task manager and closed Excel. When I reopened Excel it was saved on the left side in the recovered area... Thank for the help

You are very welcome.

Oh that is great....im glad you had the autosave feature turned on.

Please take a moment to rate my performance, and have a great day!