Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

I just installed a printer to my laptop and now none of the

Customer Question

I just installed a printer to my laptop and now none of the Microsoft programs will open. The printer is working fine to print pdf docs and pictures but each time I open email, word or excel it tells me there is a problem and then it closes.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Where did you get the printer installation files, from a CD/DVD disc, or from a download - and if so, what disc, or what download from where? Or did a program install the driver for you?

Also, what printer did you install (maker and model #) ?

At an initial guess, I would surmise that your printer install was either unrelated to the problem, or else that the install source for the printer messed up your Microsoft Office software (esp. likely if the source of the install file(s) was, well, the wrong source.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The files were from a CD / DVD disc.
I installed an Epson WorkForce 645.
All programs and Microsoft where working fine last night on my laptop. I really need to access file and get some labels printed it's pretty important.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Then what you really need to try is doing a System Restore (not to be mistaken for other operations that do not have precisely that name, and that might erase the data on your disk! so don't follow these instructions inaccurately.)

Here's how... though if you have Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, this may not apply, if so let me know before proceeding:

System Restore can be done by the following:

Go to

Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

and choose to Restore system to a previous [etc.], then from the calendar-like interface, choose the first restore point *before* the problem started, then do the restoring.

(Warning: it may help to first disconnect from the internet, then also disable - temporarily, i.e. turn Off - your anti-virus utility, since they can often interfere with the Restore operation completing successfully.... before doing a System Restore.)

The computer will grind away for a while, then restart automatically, then grind away some more, and hopefully will come up with a message that the Restore operation was fully successful.

And hopefully that will cure the problem.

(PS: Do not choose to do a System Restore if you have recently installed any Microsoft software of any considerable cost. Its installation may be reversed, and you may lose money that way. Let me know if you think that's the case, and I will advise you further as to what to do.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I find out on the laptop which version of Windows or Microsft I have?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Go to

Control Panel

then go to

System and Security

then go to

System

and the Windows information will be there.